1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse survey - Alevel student

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Emery339, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,618
    Possibly. A-Level is essentially the final step before university or working life; A-Level students are 17 - 19, so essentially adults who will be voting, drinking, driving and so on - wholly different to 10-12 year olds who are learning woodwork or science. One would hope that the content of A-Level studies is at least somewhere close to knowledge already gained and the general path that the individual is taking... but then, going by my daughter's experience with college and the utter disaster that the college has been since minute one, that is debatable.

• Like Like x 1
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,625
      It's all down to opinion - one opinion is no more valid than another. You have to say it how it is - otherwise what's the point?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +18,167
        First of all I didn't say you were a teacher, I said we had teachers like you i.e. your manner of saying things.

Secondly there are ways of saying things plainly without being insulting and hurtful. Other people including myself have given honest feedback (as you put it) but in a more constructive way than you.
        This person is a teenager and needs help and SUPPORT and POSITIVE FEEDBACK, which is actually just as honest as your brusque insensitive way of putting things.

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,618
          Questions were asked, I answered them honestly. There is no way to give positive feedback on a design when you see literally nothing positive in it.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,808
          Don't think we're here to discuss teaching or feedback methodology, anyone is free to give their own opinion in their own manner without the fear of criticism of others.
          Suggest we stay on topic of giving our thoughts on the design.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,686
            1) What do you think of the overall aesthetic (look)? If your garden has quite a modern look to it the greenhouse would be an interesting addition. My garden is more old-fashioned so it doesn’t appeal very much to me.
            2) What do you like about this greenhouse? I like the wood colour, and I like the imaginative design of the roof. I also like the large glass panels on the sides.
            3) On a scale of 1 to 10, if this product was widely available on the market how likely would you be to buy it? (1 being not at all, 10 being definitely) 1 - only because it doesn’t suit my garden aesthetic and it looks quite small.
            4) Does this greenhouse provide enough space for your plants? No, but that’s because any greenhouse is too small for most gardeners’ plans!
            5) What do you dislike about this greenhouse? The frame looks quite bulky. I don’t like the solid wood door.
            6) Is there anything you would change or add? I wouldn’t make it square.

Good luck with your course.

• Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
            Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
            Ratings:
            +6,780
            I think it looks great. The design could easily be modified by modular units to be extended to any length using multiples of the same. I don't see a leaf/water trap in the roof design. Each section is smooth to the edge. Yes, a thinner section framework is required and ventilation is a must but for an inexperienced gardener to come up with an innovative design is excellent. I hope you do well in your studies and who knows, we may see the v10.0 version in the garden magazines sometime in the future.

• Like Like x 2
            • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +18,167
              If I see someone being disrespectful and insensitive I will tell them.

That's it, I'm leaving here now. I won't be looking at this thread any more.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
                Ratings:
                +774
                1) What do you think of the overall aesthetic (look)? It looks modern and could fit well with a contemporary garden in an urban setting.
                2) What do you like about this greenhouse? It seems to have made an effort to be different.
                3) On a scale of 1 to 10, if this product was widely available on the market how likely would you be to buy it? (1 being not at all, 10 being definitely) 1 Not fitting with the rest of the garden here and the girlfriend has said she would like a more traditional looking one.
                4) Does this greenhouse provide enough space for your plants? No (at a guess going off the door being a fairly standard one).
                5) What do you dislike about this greenhouse? Window frames look like they could be reduced in bulk a bit to allow more light in.
                6) Is there anything you would change or add? Cross beams on the sides with the bigest windows not to be as thick.

Good luck with the exams and happy gardening.

• Like Like x 1
                • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                  +7,683
                  1) What do you think of the overall aesthetic (look)? It's beautiful. Love the dominance of solid wood and the shape is pleasing to the eye, proportions are interesting and draw the eye all around the structure.
                  2) What do you like about this greenhouse? The shape, and the wood. Modern style with a nod to the old times when wood was all there was.
                  3) On a scale of 1 to 10, if this product was widely available on the market how likely would you be to buy it? (1 being not at all, 10 being definitely) 5. It looks so expensive that most likely I wouldn't dare to invest in it.
                  4) Does this greenhouse provide enough space for your plants? No. Hard to tell without measurements but it looks more like a display room than anything designed for growing. From growing angle it feels too tall for the horizontal room, but then again that's what makes the shape so beautiful.
                  5) What do you dislike about this greenhouse? (Anticipating here whilst waiting for it to become available in Harrod's) The price tag :biggrin:
                  6) Is there anything you would change or add? A posh chair and a glass of wine.

In general, the greenhouse feels like it belongs to a modern garden with manicured (or artificial) grass and some exotic planting. It's hard to imagine in a "normal" garden but if I had a loft apartment in London with a copious roof terrace this would be just the thing.

Best of luck for your A- levels and beyond!

• Like Like x 3
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,618
                    For the sake of completeness, permission was granted for this subject/survey previously, so this is linked. Greenhouse focus group

• Informative Informative x 1