1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse WhiteFly for non edibles

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ricky101, May 22, 2020.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Hi,

Any comments as to the best Whitefly and Aphid control for the Greenhouse ?

We do not have a heavy infestation but repeated small ones which would be worse if we missed them early on.

Been using the usual sprays like Bug Clear Ultra and the yellow sticky traps.

Have seen the Agralan Whitefly killer which is a somewhat different product -anyone used it ?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I've not seen white fly for over 10 years, it used to be a real problem.
    I think it must have something to do with the kind of plants you grow, but having said that I cant think what I have changed.:scratch::smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,206
      Lucky you ! seems we are getting more and more bugs these days including the evil Vine Weevil.

Had a lot of Fuchsias the last year or two, seems they like them, though we also had Toms in there as well, so not sure which attracts them the most.
      Also grown a lot of Dahlias and Begonias etc from seed this year but they hardly seem affected

Its both Whitefly and the smaller Aphids that cause the damage if not spotted in time.

• Like Like x 2
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        I usually hang a couple of those yellow impregnated cards up in the GH. Then when entering the GH I give the plants a bit of a hand-waive and this causes the bugs to take off. Also GH smokes are good.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,077
          Now you mention it I don't grow tomatoes in the greenhouse anymore or cucumber. :scratch:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,193
          I grow marigolds amongst my tomatoes to deter whitefly. I haven't had a problem for a few years - I think the main thing I have changed is to grow less and ventilate more, I have a fan going on/off every 15 minutes to move the air around.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,206
            Thanks all, forgot about the GH smokers, seems the ones you can used with plants in are based on Permethrin, but the reviews are very mixed with many saying the Vitax ones simply do not work, comments like, just a puff of smoke.
            Seems the Battles Sulphur can is better but for use in an empty greenhouse only.

The only problem with them is it will kill all the helpful spiders .....:frown:

Have used Marigolds in the past, though not sure how effective they were but worth trying again, if we can get into a garden center.

000256.jpg

000257.jpg

• pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +86,077
              Well, I can remember using smokes and moving everything out the greenhouse, then putting it all back in those days the only ingredient I can remember was gamma HCH, whatever that was, never used sulphur.
              The spider used to still be there hanging around in the corners so I decided it was a total waste of time.
              Now this is not something I advise, just an idea.
              Been spraying sulphur recently, you need to check as certain plants dont like it, but first results on RSM are looking reasonable.
              RSM has been my big problem for years and something they are not resistant to, in a similar way to white fly, would be an advantage.
              But I stress you need to do a test before spraying it everywhere.

• Informative Informative x 2