1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

grow in soil or use planters/pots?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jack101, Jul 8, 2012.

1. jack101

jack101 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    i am planning landscape a courtyard of a historic sandstone building and i want to introduce some plants to add colour. the hard scaping will be mostly cobble effect block paving and gravel/stone chips. i have access to the soil beneath the gravel if we need to. i plan to plant evergreen mini trees and keep them trimmed and also some other plants, flowers or shrubs. the question is should i go for planters or grow in the soil or use raised beds? we have joiners and timber on site so building is no problem. what are the pros and cons? i am leaning toward the planter option because we could move this around till we got it placed perfectly or maybe if we had to move it for scaffolding or something in future.
    thanks

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    How about a mix of both? You could plant in the ground where you know there will be no future disturbance and have some strategically placed planters elsewhere :)