1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing Aquilegias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by shiney, Jun 19, 2011.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    I just love Aquilegias :wub2:, so pretty and so good for Bees. There were a few already planted when I moved in and I've planted some too. They are all self seeding around the garden.

@shiney it's such a shame about your Aquilegias :sad:. Maybe disease resistant plants will be created soon

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,527
    • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
      Ratings:
      +1,840
      A potentially daft question about aquilegia - I have a few plants now, in a range of different colours. If I collect seed from them to grow next year will the seedlings be true to parent colour or are they likely to be a diluted hotch-potch mix of all of the adult plants?

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,346
      @2nd_bassoon Unfortunately they hybridise like mad so you may get some with the original colouring, but most won't. The seedlings tend to fade over a couple of generations, but given the number of flower shape you can have, you should get an interesting mix. The loss of colour is why I start new plants from known seed every few years to add into the mix.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
        Ratings:
        +1,840
        Thanks @NigelJ, that was what I thought. I'll do a combination of both then, collect some seed to see what comes through but have a few known backups as well!

• Like Like x 1