1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing mint, transplant a tesco potted plant ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fuggles, Apr 4, 2009.

1. fuggles

fuggles Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My idea is, go to tesco, get the mint pot in soil, transplant it into my garden, and hopefully i will grow more mint from the orginial plant.

Will this work ? I want the mint to spread through my garden aswell. How can I achieve this ?

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    My Mint doesn't hold back fuggles,both the variety we use in cooking and some Spearmint,...it's very adept at taking over any border. At present I have some in poor soil beside my hedge where I hope it will not be too rampant.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Do this at your peril. You'll be digging mint out of every flower bed and border, from between paving slabs and out of the grass in a year, two maximum.

Best way to grow mint is in a pot, either on the patio/balcony/terrace or in a bottomless pot, buried in the border to kep it contained. Mint spreads like wildfire.

Try planting supermarket mint, but there are TONS of varieties to buy in garden centres often for as little as £1.25 a (small) pot, which is the same of cheaper than the supermarket. As an example, I have chocolate mint - a lovely green/brown leaved plant with a distinct chocolate scent.

4. fuggles

fuggles Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good. The more there is, the better . Its a good thing it spread fast. What other things can I grow that spread like wildfire ? Ill plant them too.

5. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Fuggles

Do I take it that what you really want is ground cover? Certainly mint will provide that and I have to say that when mint is allowed to go crazy, the quality of the leaves is pretty good. When mint is confined to a pot or a bucket, it seems to deteriorate quickly and suffer from rust - at least that's been my experience. Its roots will go everywhere but they are quite easy to detect and dig out.

Another rampant ground cover plant is periwinkle, either the greater or lesser variety. The previous owners of the house where I'm living now had "unleashed" lesser periwinkle in the garden and it had got everywhere. It was all mixed up with other plants, in between paving slabs and even spreading through the lawn! And the roots are surprisingly deep for such a low growing plant. I have often cursed those people....

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If it IS groundcover plants you want rather than just herbs, then Ajuga, Pachysandra and Houttunyia fit the bill.

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    I find mint likes damp conditions to do well.

As for using it as a ground cover, I'd say it was a dead loss.
    It moves on to a new place every year, slowly dyeing back where it was the previous year.
    I only grow it in pots, and it needs to be re potted every year into fresh soil otherwise it becomes thin and tired looking.

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I still think you'll regret planting mint in the garden. I know I did - a year on after digging it all out I'm still finding it sprouting several metres away from where it originally was planted and its ended up in the next door neighbour's garden too (he doesn't mind). It even made its was through a newly turfed lawn.

9. fuggles

fuggles Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    what does ground cover mean ?? No, my parents garden is a regular garden, covered in grass with trees and bushes on the side. I have a front lawn that I dont use but thats just a regular garden too.

If thats what you meant by ground cover, but like I said, I dont know what that means.

Plus it will save me buying mint from the supermarket. Free mint tea. The more the better.

periwinklre, ajuga, pachysandra , houttunyia, dont sound edible either.

10. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You should try Comfrey. I can't get rid of the B****y stuff. I could send you some if you are desparate:hehe:

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Plants that cover the soil of a border, by creeping and spreading but usually fairly low growing. Um, anything that covers the ground!

They aren't!

12. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Geranium Macrorrhizum - Cranesbill. It's good ground cover in most conditions and has pretty purple -magenta flowers.

Chris

13. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What about Chamomile? You could make tea from that. I used to rinse my hair in an infusion of it, until I killed off the plant by cutting too much off it!
    What about Thyme? there are various different types, and can be useful in the Kitchen also.

Hope this Helps!

14. fuggles

fuggles Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    does it grow year round so i can eat it in winter

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    " I want the mint to spread through my garden aswell"

You won't be able to grow anything else! ... it behaves like a weed.