1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

GW / Gove Plant Pot Crusade

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by andrews, Sep 25, 2018.

1. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,090
    Your right of course. In fact ive just put out the blue recycling bin for tomorrows collection. I would say im fairly good at recycling,going to the tip etc.
    Its just a shame the vast majority havent got a clue about whats happening in the North Pacific right now.

One positive is Japanese scientists have discovered a bacteria that can rapidly breakdown plastics. May be the magic bullet thats needed fingers crossed

• Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,942
      We do

Miss jiff and me recycle alot, we have only just put out a rubbish bag after one and a half years

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,990
        I only buy beer in glass bottles.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,942
          and no, we have not through the rest over the hedge :rasp:

• Funny Funny x 1
          • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
            Ratings:
            +7,625
            Yep, the remoaners call it Brexit.

• Funny Funny x 2
            • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +21,331
              Do you really want all the plastics in your house/car rapidly broken down?
              I suspect it is only certain plastics (probably not common ones either) under particular conditions that are rapidly broken down.
              There was an announcement the other week about a fungus, that broke down some plastics slowly, had been discovered in a waste tip.
              I'm less concerned about plant pots but what about compost, gravel, manure bags etc I generate about a dozen a year of these and I know that other forum members use a lot more than I do.

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +6,953
              Just a thought ,I don’t ever remember actually buying a plastic plant pot but I do buy plants in pots so have accumulated loads over the years.
              I am never quite sure what to do with the broken ones ,some go in recycle bin others to landfill.......A dilemma I am not happy with.

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
              Ratings:
              +2,369
              They are generally recyclable. The ones that are not recycled got to energy from waste and are not landfilled.

I think that GW said that they are landfilled which would give a further emotional side to the argument.

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,369
              Royal mail were urging people not to post crisp packets (yes - they are posting the packets without an envelope) as they are unable to put them through their sorting machines and it is causing chaos.

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,369
              We have a lot of plastic sacks from compost etc and chicken feed. All are stored and re-used. We have used loads in the last few months, bagging up plants that we have removed from the garden and given to others. I'm sure that a lot of these will be binned once the plants are taken out at the end of their journey but they have been re-used at least once.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,990
              Appears there are some right idiots out there.
              A simple answer, if you dont like the wrapping, dont buy the product.

But oh no, after stuffing their faces they want to feel good, so send the packet back to the manufacturers, right bunch of wallies.

• Agree Agree x 5
              • Like Like x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,493
                It's not new!

This song was written by the brilliant songwriter Malvina Reynolds in 1962. Recorded by a lot of people but Joan Baez was definitely the best.

• Like Like x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,493
                  We reuse all our compost bags until they fall apart - used as work surfaces, box liners for plants, and many other things.

We never buy pots but use a couple of thousand a year. Some of them come from a local nursery that has compounds for people to put their unwanted pots and trays. Some people put their pots in the compounds and other people take them. The owner of the nursery reckons that tens of thousands of pots get recycled and reused.

People that live nearer to us bring all their unwanted pots to us, must be cleaned first, and we reuse them or give them to other people that want them. I used to clean them but got fed up doing it so brought in the 'bring them to us clean'. When a lot have come in I sort them into sizes.

P1120014.JPG

P1120013.JPG

• Like Like x 4
                  • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                    Ratings:
                    +6,097
                    Regarding recycling via the refuse collections. My local council provided three wheelie bins to each household. Blue lid for household waste plus certain plastic for recycling. Black lid, for landfill. Green lid for garden waste. The council has not as yet introduced any charges for this service, apart from what is included in the council tax. We did our best to follow the rules. Then several times our Blue bin wasn't emptied. Contacting the council, the area Inspector called. He rang the driver of the refuge lorry as it was collection day. Yes Guv. The contents of that bin were contaminated. Turned out that some dog lover had deposited the bag of dog waste in our bin as they walked past. There had been other instances when neighbours had at the last minute dumped some of their rubbish in the nearest bin.
                    The Inspector told me to simply use the black bin...landfill. He explained that although the council did sort and screen much of the refuse, there was so much that most automatically went to the landfill. So as we were on the list of assisted collection, bung it all in the black bin.

On the subject of plant pots. For members who have read my blog. It can be seen that due to health reasons, I was forced to retire very early. I decided to try my hand at setting up a small plant nursery. I purchased a load of 9cm pblack plastic pots from a rhododendron grower in Dorking. I got started and grew thousands of fuchsias. I was offered silly prices for my plants. Over time I grew lots of plants,most of which I gave to friends. They would return the pots at some time. Buying in plants, I continued to accumelate more and more pots. Now I am having to have a clear out. Loads of pots, all sizes are being binned.

• shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,493
                    How about contacting any local gardening clubs and tell them that you have loads of pots they can have for nothing. It might work. Or, if you have a local internet group you could put them on there.

The most well known groups are 'Freecycle' but there are other options
                    Fed up with Freecycle? Try these top 10 alternatives

Freecycle Alternatives and Similar Websites and Apps - AlternativeTo.net

We have a good local one called Nextdoor
                    Nextdoor Alternatives and Similar Apps and Websites - AlternativeTo.net

Good luck.