Hanging basket compost

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mazambo, Mar 29, 2020.

1. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,757
    Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone mixes their own basket compost or just buys the compost like me? Last year's baskets didn't perform as good as normal and I'm sure it was the compost not the plants.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Hi,

Unless the plants had some very special needs, would just use your own favourite compost / mix.

Do you add the Slow Release fertilizer granules when planting up ?

Do you add the water retention crystals when planting up? ( do not use more that the specified amount! )

Regular feeding, watering and deadheading seem to be the key to success and also having a basket big enough for the plants, otherwise it just dries out too quick.

Find using some black plastic inside or outside the coir basket helps reduce water loss, but do put the odd drain hole into its sides.

3. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,757
    @ricky101 we normally buy basket
    compost with added granules and crystals and line the basket with plastic as you say, probably just a duff bag of compost I suppose it happens from time to time.