1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardening off of Sunflowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bashy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

As posted on a previous post, I have some Tall single sunflowers I started from seed on 1st March.
    They were started as instructed on the back of the packet (suttons) individually in 4" pots.
    I transfered them this weekend to bigger, deeper pots on the advice of some of the members here as the tap root needs establishing.
    It was suggested to me to start hardening these seedlings off now as they have reached 6"s and are a bit leggy.
    My question is the weather forcast is quite good for the next xouple of days but on Thursday the frosts will be starting and by the weekend it will be pretty cold during the days. Should I harden the seedlings off for a couple of days now, then bring them back inside onto the windowsill?
    Currently I do not have a greenhouse (awaiting delivery) and have just built a makeshift coldframe (basically a wooden box, open at the top) to shelter from the wind.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bashy

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Put them in the makeshift cold frame Bashy cover it with a piece of glass or plastic even on a cold day the temp.will be ok ,if we are going to get some of those -5c nights pop them inside the house.

3. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wanut (and anyone else who can help),
    I had a shock when I came down this morning.
    2 of my Tall singles have drooped down!!
    I did as you said and put the sunflowers out in the cold frame with a piece of glass on the top but the tall singles are still drooped.
    I have given them their normal watering the same as the rest (once in the morning and once in the evening).
    I've brought them all back in tonight coz it's quite cold out there.
    I think it may be that they are wuite tall and maybe a bit heavy.
    Should I stake it?
    How are the tall single meant to grow.
    These have one set of leaves which cam first, now they have another set underneath. As they grow, the two sets of leaves are growing further apart and there is kind of a 'furryness' on the stem between the two leaves.
    They are now in square pots about 8"'s in diam and nearly 12" tall (David austen rose pots).

Is there a way to resuce these sunflowers (they are now about 8" tall)?
    Are all of them going to droop the same way?

Cheers

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    You could stake them Bashy with growing them inside you have soft growth hence the flopping a little support will help.