1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardy Fuschias, how hardy?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PrunusB95, Mar 1, 2016.

1. PrunusB95

PrunusB95 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +19
    Hi, I planted 10 hardy Fuschias in the ground last summer and they were thriving beautifully during the season. However, last week I could not see any buds, so have cut a branch or two on all of them to see if I could see some 'green' inside but it was like dry dead wood. Should I still be hopeful? Thank you.

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,047
      Hardy Fuchsias are not necessarily top hardy , they can be in mild frost, but hard frost or unripe wood will die over winter.
      Chances are the roots are still alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        I ripped out a mature one to make way for a patio several years ago. About 2 years later, it was back. I'd obviously not got all the roots out.

• Like Like x 1
        • PrunusB95

Ratings:
          +19
          I bought them as mixed plug plants and there were no names. But once they flowered, I recognised what looked like a Tom West, an Army Nurse and possibly a Hawkshead (white flower). I could not identify a name to the rest.
          I did put extra earth to cover further the roots before the frost started in January. But if the roots could still be alive, that's gives me hope.

• Like Like x 2
          • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi Prunus,

Welcome to Gardeners Corner :)

Sorry, I've only just seen this, have you checked out last years Fuchsia thread I put a lot of info on there about overwintering Fuchsias.

A lot depends on how they were planted, they need to be at least 3-4" deep ideally. Also don't prune them at all during Winter or early Spring as last years dead wood helps to protect the crown.

Most plants won't be showing any signs of life until the beginning of April, although a lot depends on their actual situation and how sheltered they are, I've still got some in full leaf and one, " Genii " has even been flowering on and off all Winter.

As Pam said above a lot are herbaceous and so naturally die back to ground level each year to grow back from the crown again in the Spring.

I wouldn't give up hope yet :)

PS..... It would help us give better advice if you could tell us where you are, as obviously Fuchsia ( and other plants ) growing in Scotland is very different to Fuchsia growing in say Cornwall or Devon.

• Agree Agree x 1
              Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2016
            • PrunusB95

Ratings:
              +19
              Thanks for the information. I live near St Albans in Hertfordshire. Last summer when I planted them from their 9cm pots I added 2 cm of extra earth on top, so hopefully that should be enough. I've got some in my front garden facing North and East and the rest in my back garden facing South. A couple of them are facing West and are sheltered but even those don't have any 'green' within their branches, they look dead. They all had their leaves up to January but there has been some hard frosts in the last few weeks. Nevertheless it's good to know that it could be they just died back to the ground hopefully.

• Like Like x 1