1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anybody ever split a Hydrangea?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merleworld, May 23, 2016.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I have a 12L Hydrangea paniculata Grandiflora which I have two spots for in two different borders. I have seen elsewhere thay Hydrangeas can be split. Has anyone tried is and if so could you share your experience please?

Thanks in advance.

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,593
    we have had this discussion elsewhere on this forum. But, for your answer, it questions your idea of what "split" means??? And that in the other thread had to come out before the answer was totally understood. So, I will try. Some Hydrangeas will make or root up little babies that you can see coming up about 3-4 inches or so from the main base of them, it is those that you can harvest to make another shrub. I cut down in the soil close to the mother and carefully lift the baby out, it will have lots of rooting material on it. then you can plant it in a pot for later to place it. Or you can, also wait until the baby is tallish and harvest it also. But to actually take a root ball of a hydrangea and to split it is a NO-NO, never.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +10,593
      I should go on to say, that in my method above I have successfully made two Annabells from the mom, and the mom is just fine. And two more oak leaf hydrangeas, and the main mom is just fine. In fact the two Annabells this year are huge.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1