1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever sent their own bare rooted plants in the post?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jungle Jane, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Have just asked my mum if she would like some bare rooted raspberries that I'm currently digging out of my plot. I have 30 odd plants to get rid of and have exhausted all local friends and family who may be interested. So the next option is to send some to my mum.

Has anyone successfully sent bare root plants in the post and what should I do to make sure they arrive safely? I've received bare rooted plants in the past but never sent them....

• Like Like x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,390
      Hi JJ, Shake all excess soil off, make sure the roots are damp, trim the canes to about 18", stick one or two bamboo canes in the middle of the bundle and tie loosely with string. Wrap roots in a plastic bag, then roll plants in clingfilm or a bin liner and tape to hold. You can surround the roots with damp kitchen towel or damp straw, but they should be OK without for a few days, as long as your Mum is ready to plant them or pot them up as soon as she receives them!
      Wrap the whole thing in newspaper then plain plastic sheet or bag and address clearly with your return name and address (smaller) somewhere on the parcel. That should do it!:)

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,322
        I do all the time with daylily's when I sell on Ebay and that including the summer I have sent to Portugal as well which took 3 weeks.
        As already mentioned above , all I would add is give a good soak in a bucket of water for a good hour and if any plants have foliage not that the raspberries will at this time of year make sure that no plastic touches the leaves as it makes them sweat and kills the cells in the leaves.

Send on Monday so they are not left in the sorting office over the weekend

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • Useful Useful x 1