1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone grown anything yet?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clueless1, Mar 31, 2013.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Evening all.

We've all had a bit of a rough start to the year in terms of weather, setting us back a bit with the garden. Its shown here I think.

So, to try to get us going again, I will ask, Has anyone grown anything yet? :)

My grow cabinet experiment got off to a good start but turned into a disaster. I started moving healthy seedlings out to windowsills in unheated rooms. Great start, except many of my seedlings succumbed to the cold. Not exactly dead, but sort of stalled.

I have got a few correopsis seedlings still though, and one chillian glry flower.

So who's grown what?

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    All is going well here ,I have just put my last seed batches onto the prop - Cosmos Gazebo , and Cherry Rose Nasturtium . Pricked out my salvia Humminbird yesterday , the Cannas are leafing and the Chillies flower buds are forming :dbgrtmb:
    Its more space I need now ! Looks like it will be 2 weeks before night time temps start getting up to around 5°c , and I can then move seed trays into the GH .

3. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It would be easier to ask....what haven't i grown:lunapic 130165696578242 5: all doing OK :dbgrtmb: Just need the weather to catch up now:whistle:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,499
      Not done anything at all so far this year - but we don't grow annuals (apart from veg).

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,618
      I've sowed loads, but all of it in the house so far, and way behind the same time last year.

In fact, I only sowed my tomatoes and peppers yesterday, along with a shed load more marigolds (if nothing else, I will have a garden stuffed with marigolds this year! :dunno: ), and have sort of run out of room again.

My onions have been retired to the front porch, which is bright but cold, so they have stalled, and my overwintering hardy fuchsias etc have now been evicted to the greenhouse from the porch - they were used to the cold, so are doing fine. My tree lillies have sprouted well in their pots in the greenhouse, but I am dying to get them out so they get as much time as possible to get to height.

Even in the warmth of the house though, some stuff is very reluctant to germinate - my asarina scandens haven't really done much (a handful have shown their heads above soil), and my pansy padparaja are even worse (I think four have germinated, and one of those is as lanky as could be);

I'm now debating whether I should sow my cucumbers and courgettes indoors this weekend to get them started, or wait a couple of weeks and start them off in the greenhouse?

I'm even considering starting my three varieties of nasturtiums off in seed cells in the house, just so that I have some greenery and flowers by June?

Starting to think I am bad luck to the gardening world though - since I really started in earnest last year we have had a washout of a summer, and now we have had the coldest spring for 50 years :sad:

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,169
        I would delay sowing cucumbers for at least a fortnight FC. Maybe sow the courgettes now if you have room.

• Like Like x 3
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,618
          I bought loads of the fibre pots at the pound shop the other day John, and some metal foil trays that I can use to stand them in, so I might sow them and cram them into the last morsel of free space on my shelving - thanks John :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,169
            I started a bit later this year with most things (apart from the giant onions for the competition), some of the tougher seedlings are shivering in the greenhouse, like lettuce, spinach, chard etc. I have some carrots and beetroot in modules as an experiment, they need to go outside asap but the soil is frozen solid here. I think I'll lose them. My onions sets are also queued up waiting to be planted, I've kick-started them in the greenhouse in seed trays but they will soon outgrow those.

I started some early spuds in the greenhouse, they are doing OK. All my annuals and 'free' RHS seeds have started geminating and will need pricking out over the next week. My tomatoes are looking good inside my grow box. Going by the calendar I'm way behind a 'normal' year, but I'm lucky I started later given the cold snap.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,618
            We can but live in hope that we get a similarly late end to the summer?

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,499
            Although we haven't planted anything this year, we planted our onions and garlic in November.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,596
              I think I'm going to take lessons from my grow cabinet experiment and do it better next year.

I'm going to start some peas and beans off in bog roll tubes sometime over this weekend, and I have a load of chitted spuds to go in but I'm not entirely sure where to put them yet.

• Like Like x 1
              • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
                Ratings:
                +4,951
                Nasturtiums are sporadically germinating, but also going a bit leggy on the windowsill, Thunbergia yellow is germinating well but no sign of the white thunbergia yet!!

Val

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +31,946
                Got 26 cabbages to go out, there 12 inchs high now and roots starting to come through the bottoms of pots, when night temp gets warmer there be out

• Like Like x 5
                • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
                  Ratings:
                  +10,739
                  Got tomato and pepper seedlings in the greenhouse which will soon be ready for potting up.

Sowed some Early Onward peas in the greenhouse in plastic guttering at the start of the month, germination a bit sporadic so far but more appearing by the day.

Outside, the autumn sown broad beans Aquadulce Claudia are a couple of inches high now, they've had a rough ride this winter but enough have survived to mean I should still get a worthwhile crop in about a couple of months time.

• Like Like x 1
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +86,037
                    I dont normally sow much before now any way, even in a good spring.
                    Peppers maybe.
                    I only grow veg outdoors so, apart from a few beetroot in cells, and onions, I've not done much under glass.
                    My outdoor tom seed will go in around the middle of April as usual, if I do grow a pumpkin it will wait probably until beginning of May, the time I would sow Marrows, courgettes, cucumbers etc.
                    I'm thinking we are all getting inpatient.:)
                    And that happens every year.

• Agree Agree x 1