1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone grown Aruncus Dioicus?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jasmine star, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Jasmine star

Jasmine star Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,960
    Hi all, whilst browsing the web I have come across the above plant also called Goats beard. I think its lovely and I may have an ideal spot for one however when I've looked into growing from seeds they seem a little difficult and quite erratic. I'm happy to buy a plant but would like to give the seeds a go. I have a greenhouse (unheated) but in sun most of the day. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance :blue thumb:

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,508
    I haven't grown one from seed before but I did buy one for my mum last year . They are very large plants the flowers are taller than me, they don't flower for long few weeks . Ideal for a damp /wet site in afternoon shade.

Depending on how many plants you want I find it easier to buy one plant and divide it , if you want lots of plants seed is the way to go . Think I bought the aruncus from secret garden club ( none in stock at the moment ) but they are not hard to come by.

• Like Like x 1
    • Jasmine star

Ratings:
      +1,960
      Thanks @Perki :love30:
      I think 1 plant would be enough being large. (For now ha) I have had a look online at the trusty sites I usually buy from and all out of stock. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Is your mum happy with hers?

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,508
      I don't know I just bought and haven't plant it yet I am always going round with plants . One of my clients has a large one though, it thrives under a silver birch tree . I did get a seed head off it when I cut it back this spring but I've missed placed it so didn't get chance to try from seed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Jasmine star

Ratings:
        +1,960
        Sounds good.
        Your mums a lucky lady :)
        I'm definitely going to give it a go. They look lovely when in flower. The area I have in mind might be a little dry but I can sort that out before planting.
        Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
        • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,986
          Never tried dioicus from seed, but the dwarf Aruncus, A aesthusifolia, seeds itself around for us.

• Like Like x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,485
            We have it. It's also known as Aruncus sylvestris (easier to pronounce :heehee:). We have had it in our garden for over 20 years. Never grown any from seed but they split easily and we have transplanted from those.

The plant looks excellent when in bloom and the leaves are fairly attractive. The only downside is that in the summer the leaves can get eaten by bugs. It usually flowers for the whole of June.

P1170215.JPG

P1170313.JPG

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Jasmine star

Ratings:
              +1,960
              It's beautiful @shiney. That's definitely what I'm looking for. I think I'm best buying the plant rather than trying from seed. I'm going on the hunt (virtually) today :heehee:

• Like Like x 1