1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone grown Begonia Rex?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JackJJW, Apr 4, 2016.

1. JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
    Ratings:
    +1,559
    I have three of them from Dibleys. I have no idea how they're still alive as I put them through the wars last year. They're growing again though.

I'm having trouble with one fine leaf one, Begonia Rex 'Connie Boswell'. I had it in a West window that gets full sun for a good few hours. One leaf this week half died and a new leaf's fine points have gone crispy.

I know they like a fairly humid atmosphere but do you think this is more likely to be leaf scorch? I've moved it to a full shade pet of the room, out of direct sunlight but near the window so still gets bright light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    Sorry Jack can't help you as I haven't grown the above :dunno: but oddly enough I just bought my FIRST ever begonia " Angelic " purely because she is scented and supposedly buzzy friendly :wub2: so fingers :fingers crossed: BUT my question to you my friend is what part of the continent are you living FULL sun and HOurs of it :scratch: ...I need me some of that :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Only googled the name to have a look/nose at it and this came up .."Begonia 'ConnieBoswell' (Begonia rhizomatous hybrid) Majestic in stature, this upright grower performs well in an east or west window in partial sunlight." if you click under plant care it also says about humidity/temps etc. http://www.logees.com/begonia-connie-boswell-begonia-rhizomatous-hybrid.html

Pretty plant btw! I only grow tuberous ones with big blousey flowers, might have to expand my varieties.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,559
        Thank you, that advice looks very clear to me. I know the room's humidity is higher than that, so it must be over exposure to sun and scorch :-/

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,031
        I grew one many years ago, I seem to remember good light rather than direct sun.

Also very easy to over water.
        Other than that, cant help much.

• Like Like x 1
        • Billybell

Billybell Gardener

Retired and spending my kids inheritence.
          Ratings:
          +532
          I have had some success with them in the foliage plant class at a couple of local shows. You are right about them needing fairly high humidity. Seeing as I grow my tomatoes on wet gravel using the ring culture method, the Rex Begonias do well stood in-between the tomato plants. I have also found that they do better in half depth pots.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,559
            Thanks both. I'm going to try moving one to a shady part of the room to see if I can stop the leaf tips crisping up. If that fails, I guess it must be the humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Billybell

Billybell Gardener

Retired and spending my kids inheritence.
            Ratings:
            +532
            When grown in the house its usually recommended to stand them on a tray full of damp gravel, or better still keep them in the bathroom.

• Like Like x 1