1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Have I been had?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daisybelle, May 14, 2022.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    I bought and planted native snowdrop, daffodil and bluebell bulbs last autumn.
    I already had a few bluebells in a pot, so I added them in too. I got my bluebells from Hyacinthoides non-scripta and because the Latin name matched, didn’t read further. They have come up and look much like Spanish to me :scratch: Hybrid perhaps? How are they allowed to do that? Took me bleeding ages to plant them too :gaah:
    Edit to add pics 37260278-8638-4760-96FF-4FFBBCE4A64A.jpeg 13D681E2-17FF-43F7-8867-5816C8CB9962.jpeg

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Well it sounds like it.
    Dutch growers get away with anything, I'm not impressed with much of the stuff from the Netherlands, too commercial.

Might be better to try a British wild flower nursery if you can find one.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    Did they say they were English? If so, then email and complain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
      Ratings:
      +48
      Well, have a read of the page, yes and no. They’re not going to come and dig them up and replace them, that’s for sure :wallbanging:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      Read the link, a complete cop out, so fuzzy you couldn't nail them down.;)

"Create a hazy carpet of blue in your spring garden with beautiful bluebells! Plant these fragrant beauties under trees to create a mini bluebell wood effect, these vigorous and reliable bulbs will soon settle in and start to multiply. Not only will you see these dreamy blue blooms every year, but there will be more of them each time. Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) are unfussy and will grow reliably in most locations. Even if you don’t have trees in your garden to nestle them under, they will quite happily pop up in pots and borders too!

Hyacinthoides non-scripta is a species which is native to various parts of Europe and the UK. Our Hyacinthoides non-scripta are cultivated in Holland and may have a slightly different appearance to wild English bluebells. They can be more upright with blooms in a paler shade of blue compared with the same species sourced from UK breeders."

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,986
      Native ones have a one sided umbel of nodding flowers with white anthers and pollen and are scented. Spanish ones have flowers all round the stem, blue pollen and are not scented. Hybrids have a combination of features of both. Some hybrids are almost exactly the same as the true species so not always easy to separate.

• Like Like x 1
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,345
        A friend bought a whole load of supposedly native bluebells for planting in semi-wild conditions. They are definitely hybrids - there are a few REAL bluebells in the same area already which are much darker, with more narrow bells and more one-sided (and white pollen). I am now growing them from seed for him from my own woodland where I know there has not been any chance of hybridisation. It'll be slower, but more certain.
        And you should see the result of the supposed snowdrops he was sent! Glossy green leaves, massive, and no more snowdrops than I am a Dutchman -sorry - Netherland nurseryman.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,497
          If they are saying any of their plants are 'native' that means they don't have to be native 'English' ones. :noidea:

The ones in your pictures look similar to the English ones. :blue thumb:

You want to get rid of the dandelions :whistle: :)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
            Ratings:
            +48
            Here’s their reply

“Thank you for getting in touch. Hyacinthoides non-scripta are native to western Europe and the UK. Their appearance can vary from country to country. Ours are grown from Dutch bulbs and are cultivated in Holland. They can be more upright than wild English bluebells and may be paler in colour. Ours are not sold as 'English bluebells' because they are not grown from British bulbs and cultivated in the UK.

As this is not what you were expecting, I have issued a refund for your bluebells and apologise for any disappointment caused. If you are looking for native English bluebells, they can be sourced from certified British growers.”

I await the refund, but not sure what to do now. I planted a snowdrop, a daffodil and a bluebell in each hole, so it’d disturb them, besides being an enormous faff, to get the new ones out

• Like Like x 1
            • daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
              Ratings:
              +48
              Thank you, I’m fine with the dandelions

• daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
              Ratings:
              +48
              Exactly my situation, did he take them out?

• Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,289
              @daisybelle You might want to try Naturescape next year for more success, not available ATM but they specifically state that theirs are "English bluebells" and everything I have had from them classed as a British native has been correct. :) Unfortunately, I would seriously consider the rather laborious task of removing the ones you planted as they hybridise so freely, I'm no expert but I suspect that otherwise you will end up with a bit of a confusing, indistinct mess in a few years! :sad:

English Bluebells in the green (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) | UK Delivery | Naturescape

Nick