1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Heather in snow

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SimonZ, Jan 16, 2016.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    I bought several heathers to join the few I have already planted. Then the snow began to fall, am I right to assume it is pointless planting them out now?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,978
    I'd be inclined to wait until the snow has melted and the ground is not frozen.
    Heathers are pretty tough, but best to wait would be my thoughts.

3. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Thanks. My only option is to keep them inside which may not be practical, but if I do so - will this mean they are less able to withstand the cold once they finally are moved out? Perhaps I could harden them off during the day times? Or can they be left outside at all times?

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I've been over the top of the moors today. The snow plough has been out, there's about 6ft of snow on either side of the road. The car said it was minus 2 when I was there, at the warmest time of day. None of this is unusual in winter. It's absolutely baltic up top.

The heather just keeps on growing.

5. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Yes, I live in a moorland area of Yorkshire, heather is certainly abundant. I suppose my main concern here is not whether the plants will survive, but if they will stand more chance of doing so if I wait a while before planting, or indeed if keeping them indoors could jeopardise that. Etc.

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I don't know if the commercial cultivars are as hardy as the native wild stuff.

Personally I'd leave it outside during the day, and protect it at night for a few weeks. I think if you keep it indoors all the time for a few weeks, it will suffer when you do put it out.

Also consider that heather is Sun loving. Outside it will be dormant because it's cold, but inside it is likely to wake up, and then suffer for lack of sunshine.

7. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask where you bought them please ? If you bought them from an outdoor nursery/garden centre eg then they would already be hardened off and should really be placed somewhere sheltered outside, perhaps up against a wall .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
      +746
      Two from a supermarket, so indoors, three from an outdoor stall. I've decided to take a risk and leave three outside, two inside (I have a feeling the ones left outdoors will fare better) then monitor the situation tomorrow. If nothing else it will be an experiment - they cost me £3.50 for the 5 so it is not as though I will have wasted a huge amount whatever happens. The main question remains when precisely I should plant them, rather than just having them outdoors awaiting this. Maybe doing that in stages will also be a good experiment. At the same time, I am loath to squander plants so any advice appreciated.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I personally wouldn't plant them out at the moment. You take the risk of planting them out and then the ground freezing solid around them which will starve them of air and freeze their roots solid.

• Like Like x 1
      • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
        +746
        Yes, I see. I've decided to bring all but one indoors then, for tonight at least.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Chances are that the Heathers you bought will have been grown under cover/forced in which case they probably would be better with some sort of shelter. Do you have say a south facing wall to your property that you could place them near? I'd also be inclined to "plant" all five still in their pots in a big bucket or similar of compost or soil until the weather heats up a bit. By doing this the plants are less likely to freeze solid. if you had some horticultural fleece to make a tent over them that would be even better.
        Many heathers are very hardy BUT some are not. Unfortunately many of the fancy foliage coloured Heathers are originally from Spain and many heaths (sold as heathers but aren't!) aren't that hardy either......learnt from mistakes! I had a 200 ft Heather bank in a previous property so have had plenty of experience. All Heathers grow best in full sun and pretty good drainage. It really is important to give them a good haircut post flowering but don't prune right down as they won't re grow if too severe. Pruning of summer flowering varieties is more important than those that flower during the winter. Unfortunately Heathers are often marketed as maintenance free. They are nothing of the kind if you want them to keep looking good. I don't have a Heather bed in my current garden as my previous 1 cured me of wanting to grow them again!