1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hebe.Patio pot o.k?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Paladin, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Evening all.
    Wife bought me a Hebe a few days ago and I put it in an 18" terracotta pot.Wondered if it needs to come in over Winter in case the frost gets at it in there.I would prefer to have it planted out but I'm under orders ! :(

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Depends a bit on what one it is, but these days probably not. Just be prepared to give it some protection if we get some continuous frost, (blimey I hope not) not seen that in years. :D

3. Coralbat

Coralbat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good Evening
    Don't know much about them but had one planted in my front garden for five years (south facing) and it did okay. Then it died. Don't know if it was frost or something i did .

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Thanks pete, It's labeled "Hebe Mixed" and the flowers are pink to purple,the leaves are a glossy dark green.

5. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    they do fine in pots i put three in pots they kind of thrive on neglect do not water too much hardly at all in winter most damage is caused by overwatering the large leaved ones need a bit of a prune after flowering just to keep shape good luck :D :D

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi,
    I agree they do seem to thrive on a bit of neglect. I have some in pots & two that were planted out years ago & have now kind of incorporated thenselves with a small hedge & they get clipped with the shears the same as rest fo hedge & they probably put out more flowers than the ones in pots. [​IMG] They are tough plants. [​IMG]

[ 17. August 2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]