1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hedychium Garderarium no show yet!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wilroda, Jun 16, 2008.

1. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have a good sized rhizome of the above and it was in the greenhouse( until my tomatoes took over!) but is now outside in full sun.
    Planted about two inches deep i have been leaving it to establish in good free draining soil.
    Today I took a peek and there is absolutely nothing going on! The tuber looks healthy enough with no rot but there are no roots or shoots.

I am tempted to raise the tuber up a bit and to place it in my south facing conservatory to " kick it up a bit"

Do you think that this would do the trick - or any other advice would be most welcome as I was really looking forward to growing this darned tuber!!

PS tried to post a smiley at the end of this but it seems to have appeared on my title!!......oops......

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Yeah I'd give it a bit more heat.
    Was it a new one bought this year and in a faily dry state?
    I think if they dry out completely they can take a while to get going again.
    Having said that, mine never moves much before May and late May at that sometimes.

We really need some warm weather.:)

3. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Yes it was quite dry and it has plumped up a bit.
    Thanks for the advice. I will give it some more heat

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,531
    I have 6 in pots in a polytunnel, repotted in march, some are nearly 3ft tall but I don't expect to see flower on any of them for a few months yet.
    I would have kept it in the greenhouse and not put it out at till least a foot high.

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I have some shoots that have overwintered outside that are about a foot tall at the moment.

6. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Like Pete I left a clump outside which is now about 4 inches also have one in a large pot which is also growing well - must be this lovely weather (near freezing this morning!)

7. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds as if I may have a dud then! ....nil...nothing...zero is happening!!

just like my curcurma rhizome, thats not doing anything either!

Must be something i am doing wrong........

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I find curcuma a different proposition to hedychium.
    The hedychium you have is relativly hardy, but as you say it may have rotted.
    Curcuma is pretty tender I find.

I'd have to dig them up and have a look, see if its squashy or it may just be that the buds have rotted, if so I dont think you have much of a chance this year.

A nursery local to me are selling plants of about 8 kinds of hedychium in growth , at £9.99 each, which I think is pretty good value.

So all might not be lost yet, have a loook around.:)

9. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pete
    The Hedychium looks pretty healthy but there are no buds showing. The rhizome is firm with no rotting.
    Same goes for the curcurma It too looks healthy. Do you think that it will just be a "no show" this year or are they destined for the compost heap?

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Wouldn't like to say really.
    I suppose if they still look healthy, then there is no harm in continuing, but its getting a bit late for a flowering plant this year.
    Not sure that they can go a complete season dormant, and then grow the following year.