1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hellebores - what should I be doing?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Archibald the grim, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Archibald the grim

Archibald the grim Apprentice Gardener

Retired - Just
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine are still flowering but looking around I've seen other gardeners removing most or all leaves - should i be doing that now?
    what about seeds from the flowers for next year - what should I be doing to propagate these lovely plants

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Leaves on H. x orientalis are usually removed in February, so if yours are still healthy leave them alone and only remove any obviously dying or diseased ones. All the other Hellebores should have their leaves left alone (unless damaged etc.)
    If you want seeds then let the flowers carry one and they will produce far more than you need. When the pods begin to split, either let the seeds fall where they will and get the seedlings next Spring, or collect them and sow straight away. Keep them moist and rodent free and they usually germinate the following Spring. No heat needed or indeed is desirable.
    They all dislike root disturbance, but if you have clumps big enough to split, then this is done September/October time as they form new roots over winter.

3. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,624
    I just remove the winter damaged ones, brown and yucky type. Then I never touch them again until next January or February.

4. Scorpio1968

Scorpio1968 Gardener

Business Development Manager
    Ratings:
    +245
    I tend to do as suggested above, just remove the leaves that start going brown. I leave the flowers on but haven't collected any seeds yet but i have dug up and potted on some seedlings in previous years and given them to my parents and neighbours for their gardens and they're thriving now.

5. Archibald the grim

Archibald the grim Apprentice Gardener

Retired - Just
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks one and all for your advice.