1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help and advice needed for a shady, weedy, floody garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Snorky85, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,976
    Yes I think the fences may be rotting. They have been sprayed since we moved in two years ago but they seem to go green (apart from the parts of the fence which are underneath the over growing pines).

Had a chat with the OH and we're going to get some quotes for putting some drainage in and raising the ground.

Just thinking about the fences-on the left side fence the neighbours over growing trees have ivy growing up them-the ivy is also growing on the fence and coming through. Last year I ripped all the ivy off that had grown through but as expected, it's grown back-would you think it was cheeky if I asked them to cut the ivy back on their side?! I think it's actually damaging the fence!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Who owns the fence? You or the neighbour?

If its yours, then you have a legal right to ask them to reimburse you for any costs of remedial work to put right problems caused from their side. I was reading just a few weeks ago that apparently you're not even supposed to lean anything against the fence if its not your fence, because the neighbour can say that you pushed the fence over and make a claim. Its not very neighbourly though, so I'd just go and talk to them and see what they say.

3. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,976
    Ah that's a good bit of advice-I think the whole gardens fence is ours but will double check. The ivy is becoming a complete nuisance, as well as their overhanging oak tree which is dropping branches and has pigeons nesting in it pooping all over my green house! Grrr :(

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596

I think I know how you feel. I don't half wish there were some better laws regarding neighbourly conduct when it comes to gardens. I have an overgrown tree overhanging from next door. Its not so bad, but it bugs me that someone could thing its ok to let a sycamore tree grow 1ft from the boundary between them and the neighbour. My personal bugbear though is when people think its perfectly fine to ignore invasive weeds like bindweed in their garden, knowing that weeds don't respect boundaries. It all means that in addition to doing your own gardening, you have to constantly wage war against invaders from next door, often forking out good money to rectify a problem originating from next door.

Anyway, sorry, nearly hijacked your thread there. I'll end my rant for now:)

• Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,976
      Ha Ha feel free to rant away... I like a good old moan. I have really gone off oak trees...the neighbour has about 5 about a foot away from the fence. You get all the aphid mess and sap all over. Then our neighbour on the other side has an oak over hanging our conservatory which makes a mess too. I too can't believe how some people can be so inconsiderate-really annoys me! Think I should end my rant now also....he he :)

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      To be fair this maybe helping with your drainage, in theory the more trees you have the drier to ground should be.

:dunno:

• Like Like x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,976
        Very true about the trees. Had a bit of a breakthrough with the drainage idea...the drain that's currently in our patio is for surface water. And you can legally drain away water into it (according to my dad who's a plumber). We're going to get someone in for a quote and some advice. The only issue is the angle needed to drain into the drain from the lawn is minimal-so need someone who knows what they're doing to sort that out. Feel like there is some hope! :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          A perforated land drain pipe can be flat, or even undulating with some high-spots. Not ideal, perhaps, but all it is doing is providing a "clear space" for the water to move easily along. When water pressure builds up sufficiently, which it will do if the place floods!, there will be enough water in the pipe to overcome some bumps. Of course you can't make water flow uphill :) but if there is only a slight fall, overall, I think it will still be a lot better than no-drain.

• Like Like x 1