1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP..Garden fence/gate paint

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by capney, May 11, 2015.

1. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    As you see from the picture it is a factory made planed timber panel with a gate just to the right. It is secured to Oak posts cemented into the ground. It came with a dipped finish of some sort and since then I have treated it with a clear treatment. Now it needs some TLC.
    I'm baffled over what to use. I read that most finishes are water based and for use on rough timber and not recommended for planed.......Help.[​IMG]
    confused.Robert.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    A bit different to your gate Capney but I have an oak plaque with my house number on it. The original coating on it bled and left stains on my house walls so I sanded it down and gave it a few coats of colour varnish, it worked a treat. :)

3. mr c

mr c Gardener

joiner
    Ratings:
    +232
    Gate looks like it needs yacht varnish, the stuff you need thinners to clean the brush,bit of a rub with sand paper med grit along the grain,jobs a gooden

4. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Sound advise taken onboard.... Thanks guys.

• Friendly Friendly x 1