1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help - New Betula jacquemontii

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silver1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I am bothering the forum once more with questions about trees. I had a large pot grown betula jacquemontii (about 5 meters) planted about three weeks ago to replace one of my batch of bare rooted betula pendulas that didn't make it. The nursery planted it for me and used a good quality tree compost. The only thing that annoyed me somewhat is that they banged a very large tree stake right through the root ball. Well the tree looks beautiful. I have been watering well every other day as we have had very hot dry weather, no rain for a long while (East Kent). Today I noticed that a large number of the leaves, especially those towards the top of the tree are turning yellow. Now I am perplexed. Is it because of over watering or under watering. Should I just leave it alone. Could it be that the stake they put in damaged the roots and it is very stressed? Is it just normal that such a large tree (even though pot grown) should throw its leaves once planted? (This was a very expensive tree and I would hate to lose it).

I would welcome some advice.

Thanks

Ann

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Ann, I`ve answered this question in the " Is My Salix Dying " thread.:thumb: