1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help please clever gardeners

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by callyomally, Sep 3, 2005.

1. callyomally

callyomally Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Come on now I know there are some clever gardeners out there just dying to show off your knowledge. My soil is no good due to years of cat wee. What can I do?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi callyomally,
    I think I would start by going to the garden centre & get a soil ph test kit & find out what the ph is & treat apropriately & dig in plenty of organic matter. Also you don't say what sort of soil you have as that could make a difference too. What sort of things do you want to plant?
    Hope that is some help, I'm sure someone will come along with more ideas. [​IMG]

[ 03. September 2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I am slightly confused by this message. [​IMG] Are we talking about a cattery site - cos otherwise cats visiting a garden is tough on newly planted areas due to scratching up, and unpleasant for the gardener - is not usually a problem for a garden or its plants.

If you are talking about a site that has had concentrated cat urine disposed of for years - then that is a whole different ball game.

4. callyomally

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is a site that my cat has urinated on for 19 years. She has now left us.

5. callyomally

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Marley Farley. The soil is very very dry and sandy. I want to plant some shrubs and perennials.

6. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    if it is a small area I would remove some of the soil and then dig in some soil conditioner and a good amount of mushroom compost, it has worked wonders in my garden, although I did not have to contend with cat urine.
    hope this helps a little

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] If it is dry & sandy then I would definately start digging in as much organiccompost as soon as possible then keep digging it over durng the winter then plant in spring where possible then again next autumn.
    Hope that is some help. Is it a very big patch?? [​IMG]

8. callyomally

Ratings:
    +0
    No its not a very big patch.

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] If it's not a big patch I would dig in plenty of organic matter, maybe some extra soil from elsewhere in the garden or buy a bag of top soil then keep digging it over periodically till well mixed. If you have any ashes you could sprinkle a light layer over the top, & dig in as well. Then plant in the autumn. That's what I did in a similar situation anyway.
    Hope it helps. [​IMG]

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to hear you've lost your cat - having had two, I know what that feels like. I'd go with Sam and Marley's advise - remove some of the top lay, and apply as much organic material, especially compost as possible.

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Oh, callyomally, where are my manners. [​IMG] Please accept sincere condolences over the loss of your cat, you must miss it terribly. I do know what a loss they can be. Mine lived until 21, now lies under a small tree planted in his favourite spot in the garden. Dig away & plant something that reminds you of your cat somewhere there. [​IMG]

12. callyomally

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I do miss her terribly Marley Farley. She is buried in the garden and I want to plant something nice next to her. I have ordered some shrubs and want to make the soil better before I plant them. I am getting some callicarpa, a calico bush and a pascalli rose. Notice the connection. My cats name was Calico (cally for short). The common name for callicarpa is beauty berry and the calico bush is also known as the beauty bush. Well she was a little beauty and she lived to be 19. (I thought all you gardeners would hate cats!)

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi,
    So glad you have her home with you. I think that is so nice, finding the connection with the plants & Calico, I think thay will look wonderful. [​IMG]
    Then if I was you I would start your digging as soon as possible to open up the soil & dig in any compost etc as I said before. The weather can get at it then & together should give you something 1/2 decent for planting into. Also gives you time to think of her too. Hope it goes ok. [​IMG]