Help re Brushcutter/multihead tool

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by CarolineL, Aug 6, 2019.

1. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,304
    I have acquired a new garden with some woodland that needs brambles, young saplings etc removed from what had previously been coppiced. Although I will pay someone with a roboflail and chainsaw to clear some major paths, I want to do some minor tidying myself. Due to elbow issues, I am never able to use a pull start, so need something with electric start. Has anyone ever used the Ryobi brushcutter with alternative heads (pole saw, hedge trimmer etc)? (Ryobi 25.4CC 2-in-1 Petrol Full Crank Grass Brush Cutter). I have the Ryobi OnePlus battery set, so that can be used in the electric starter.
    Any other advice re tools welcome.

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    What do you class as minor work ie. what kind of work do you wish to do?
    I tend to think for work that’s going to be above average needs it pays to have some tools for specific jobs.

• Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,304
      Hi @Liz the pot - I was hoping you'd notice the post, seeing as how you're an expert! Basically cutting back brambles, cutting down very small young saplings of goat willow. I am hoping to restore one area which had been clear felled a long time ago into grazing for a couple of ponies. But I'm only expecting to spend about half a day a week doing these jobs. Anything more, I'll just pay an expert...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,371
        I think it be easier to pay some to attack it first :paladin: get it down for you then keep on top of it with a strimmer / clearence saw .

If the sapling are small can you not pull them out and be rid of them ? how thick are the sapling ?

I am not a fan of ryobei tools well the petrol ones at least

• Like Like x 1
        • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,259
          I’m with Perki, the Ryobi tools may struggle with the work load. I think a lot depends on how thick the bramble and other growth is but if it’s dense sometimes hand tools might struggle and that’s where the big old machines come into it.
          I’ve cleared small areas backing into fields locally here with a chainsaw on small trees, my old Stihl brushcutter and an HS81 but you need to add up the cost of machines vs paying someone to do the job.

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,304
          Hi @Perki, @Liz the pot thanks for the response. Yes, it's a trade off between cost of equipment and just getting someone in to do the main clearing. However as there are 18 acres of woodland, I probably will have to get some kit someday! I have used Ryobi for hand battery tools (drill, sander etc) and found them pretty good, but petrol stuff is rather different. Whatever I eventually buy to use myself, it will still need to be electric start. I can't understand why equipment manufacturers don't include a clockwork wind up/release mechanism instead of the pull starter!

• Like Like x 1