1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

help! Something is digging in my garden!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lara400, Apr 26, 2014.

1. lara400

lara400 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have come across a number of holes in the garden fence and one of them are extensive in managing to burrow to the next door neighbours garden. I have lived here for about 10 years and never seen anything like this - they even managed to kick up a plant in the process!

Picture is attached and the only animal I have ever seen in the garden is a couple of cats that next door neighbors own....do you think it is them? I have never seen anyone of them do this before...

Also, how do I put a stop to this? I am thinking of bricking up along the fence so it puts the cuprit off....I do not live next to a river or anything like that - just a normal road with a garden...

Anyhep would be appreciated..

Attached Files:

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hello and welcome.

I'm pretty sure a cat wouldn't do that. If a cat wants to be on the other side of a fence, it will usually just climb it or go round.

Sometimes pet dogs do it, especially small ones, but I don't think that's very common.

Foxes, rabbits and badgers all dig under fences if they have to, but it doesn't look like the work of a rabbit to me.

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    could be foxes or badgers, or dog we have had this same question a couple of weeks ago , have a look for any hair that has been caught on the fence is a good clue

4. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Could be foxes or rats.

I had a similar thing a while ago, which I was convinced was a fox until I caught my dog digging. My neighbour has concrete under his side so the hole never went right through.

However, last weekend my neighbour said that he had found a hole his side where the rats had been trying to dig under the fence, so the reason my dog was digging was to get at the rats. I subsequently found rats in my garage.

My original thread is here.

• Useful Useful x 1