1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with choosing hedging plants please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Neil07480, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Neil07480

Neil07480 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, I’m new to the forum and a complete beginner when it comes to gardening!

we have recently moved into a new build property and our adjoining neighbours have erected a huge trampoline which is quite invasive. To combat this, we are looking at hedging plants but would like some which is low maintenance if there is such a thing. The area to cover is about 14m in width and about 2.5/3m in height. I don’t mind if I have to prune the height but if there is something that doesn’t grow too wide would be ideal. I’ve been looking at Japanese bamboo but can’t find too many uk suppliers and not sure if they will be fit for purpose!? Hopefully that makes sense, many thank in advance!

2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    I would avoid bamboo. It is invasive and does nothing for biodiversity or encouraging wildlife.

I think a mixed hedge would be effective in screening the trampoline, especially if you include a generous amount of evergreen plants. I suggest good old privet as it is quick growing and provides a good screen. You could include holly but it is slow. Lawson cypress (not the dreaded Layland cypress) is fairly fast growing and can be kept in check. Native mixed hedging will encourage wildlife but provide less screening in winter.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hedging of any kind is going to take 2-4 years to get the height you need.

Consider a 6ft fence (legal) to start with and say a 2ft trellis on top of that, which will be a difficult one for them to complain about. That will allow many quick growing plants to climb up them this year while your slower hedging plants get going.

If to your taste, you could put up a garden Sail for instant screening.

Many plants for hedges, Red Robin to 3 mtrs, Leylandii, or more thorny Pyracantha but not child friendly.

Rather than having a hedge from the ground up, consider growing them as Pleached hedges against your fence so you have room and light under them for more attractive pants at ground level.

000627.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      6ft/1.80m is not the max height under permitted development rights, it is 2.0m. And if ground levels vary between gardens, that height is above the soil level in your garden, not your neighbour's.[1]

Any trellis above counts towards the maximum height, so if using 1.8m high fencing panels, only 200mm high trellis panels could be fixed above without the benefit of PP.

Obviously, with a 200mm high trellis above a 1.80m high boarded fence, that would allow any climbers you plant against it to scamble up and be supported to the full 2m height, plus grow another 300mm or so, possibly providing 2.3m height of sceening.

[1] If you can locally raise ground levels within your garden, and then use 150/300mm high precast concrete gravel boards to act as a retaining wall, then you could potentially construct a fence up to 2.3m high above your neighbour's garden level, and still not require PP.

Check it out at the planning portal.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      :sign0016: Neil... Whether you choose a mixed hedge or not I would include Griselinia. There is a green variety, and a variegated one. If you can, buy the plants small as they will establish much more quickly (whichever ones you decide on) Griselinia is easy to grow, and is soft, so easy to keep trimmed
      [​IMG] upload_2018-1-25_22-11-40.jpeg Of course, if you mix in other shrubs too, it will make the hedge more interesting, and you can include flowers and berries - and anti neighbour prickles as well if you like...:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,476
        The 2 metre legal hedge height limit is your biggest problem - although you can scrape through making it higher using Scrungee's method.

If the length that you wanted to hide had only been narrow you would have been able to get away with going much higher. You're allowed to have a single plant/tree at any height as a hedge is not considered to be one unless there are two together.

Another way around it, I think, (@Scrungee may know) is to put up fence and then a pergola close to the boundary and grow fast growing climbers up it. Pergolas enhance the appearance of a garden and make a useful seating area.

It can be as a simple pergola
        [​IMG]

or something fancier
        [​IMG]

[​IMG]

you could put a trellis up the back part of it and grow things up there. Either perennial climbers or annual climbers or a mix of both.

A perennial such as Clematis Armandii is a fast grower.

• Like Like x 2
        • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,781
          But would you fancy 'relaxing' in a pergola if there's kids bouncing and screaming a trampoline a few feet away?!
          Have you spoken to the neighbours about potentially re-siting the trampoline? If they can't then ask if they'd be bothered if you put a higher than strictly permitted fencing solution. Otherwise you'll be waiting a few years by which time the trampoline may well be gone anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,476
            I don't think anywhere in a garden would make a difference to the, possible, disturbing effect of screaming children, but a pergola would be able to hide the visual effect.

Fast growing climbers, especially if using annuals as well, can soon screen out a lot.

4th April
            P1220917.JPG

4th September
            P1250650.JPG

• Like Like x 2
            • Neil07480

Neil07480 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +0
              Many thanks for all the reply’s. I’m quite concerned about the hedging being too invasive to our neighbours (in terms of growing over our fence and therefore they need to trim and maintain from their side). So I was wondering if there was any hedging that would fit the bill for this?This is why I originally thought a bamboo plant maybe better as it appears to only grow upwards, but obviously after your advice I have reconsidered this. Obviously the other option is going to talk to the neighbours but they haven’t got anywhere else to put it due to decking etc. If I’ve understood everything correctly, am I right in thinking that I can’t have let’s say a row of conifers for example above 2m as it is illegal??

Thanks again!

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
              +21,781
              No, hedging can go as high as the plant but obviously hedges are normally trained rather than left to own devices.
              Hedges need maintenance, it's part and parcel.

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,830
              Let’s hope the kids outgrow/get bored with the trampoline soon!

• glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
              +120
              Some wrong advice above. As Loofah says, you can grow a hedge any height you like within reason and barring unusual factors. There's no 2m legal limit.

A bamboo would be absolutely fine if you choose a clumping variety. It is running varieties that cause problems.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
              Ratings:
              +5,404
              I don`t think the problem with conifers would be whether they are legal or not, but in the long term you might be rather sorry you planted them - especially in a small garden, as they can be a nuisance as they get bigger. Very tall plants create shade too - one side or the other, and I`ve known that to cause all sorts of fights with neighbours.

It seems to me from what you say, you get on rather well with your neighbours Neil, and I reckon your original idea of having a chat with them about the boundary would be an excellent one.

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,476
              That's not quite right either. There is no actual individual 'high hedge' law but it comes under another Act that effectively means there is one!

"The term ‘high hedges’ was subjective until it was defined by the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003: Part 8 in 2005. This is a summary of what constitutes a high hedge under the law:

• The hedge is more than 2m (approx 6½ft) tall (there is extra guidance for hedge heights on slopes)
              • A hedge is defined as a line of two or more trees or shrubs
              • The hedge is formed wholly or predominantly of evergreens (these don’t lose their leaves in winter) or semi-evergreen ones (that stay green most of the year)
              • Bamboo and ivy are not included"
              The decision as to whether a hedge is considered a nuisance and needs to be reduced to that height (you can't be ordered to remove the hedge) is made by the local Council. A complaint needs to, first be made directly to the neighbour (most Councils won't entertain a complaint where the two parties have not tried to solve it between them) and then to the Council. Most Councils will charge for this service and they can now charge up to £400 for coming to look and then make a decision.

So, the usual advice is simply to keep it down to 2 metres. Having said that - I keep one of my hedges a couple of feet higher than that to mainly obscure the sight of a garage that the neighbour built that is close to my back garden.

Fences come under a different law and are controlled by the local Council under their Planning department. Most Councils will set a limit at 2 metres.

There are ways to get around these basics, such as the pergola I mentioned, but discussion with the neighbour is usually the best way. If the neighbour agrees to you having a higher hedge then you are not in contravention of any law.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
              Ratings:
              +5,404
              Isn`t it a fact that all these ''rules'' came about because of the general nuisance caused by the dreaded Lleylandii blight?
              My own lleylandii hedge is kept in trim :) - once a year is all it takes! DSC00017 (1).JPG

• Like Like x 2