1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

help with newly planted flowers please!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by We finally own a garden!, Sep 5, 2012.

1. We finally own a garden!

We finally own a garden! Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,

To introduce myself, my wife and i recently moved into our first home with a garden (expecting our first baby too:)
    ) . Very exciting for us, as we love just sitting outdoors and enjoy having our own little bit of England.

Having battled to remove (what felt like to me) a jungle of bamboo, digging up the roots etc we decided we wanted to plant flowers to replace space left by the bamboo. I spent a few days turning the soil, trying to improve it by adding topsoil (apologies if not the correct thing to do, as i said, I'm very new to a garden!) and then purchased various flowers and plants. We followed the instructions on the supplied labels and planted with a 50:50 mix of our normal soil taken from the planting hole (our soil has a lot of clay and chalk - we live in Hampshire) and a general compost. Gave them all a good water and have since left them alone (planted about four days ago). 80% of the flowers appear to be super happy but two look decidedly unhealthly. One is a Clematis and the other a Chrysanthemum, I've attached a few pictures (sorry not great quality) showing them and where they 'sit' and as you can see the Chrysanthemum flowers are 'greying' and the clematus wilting (the bottom leaf also has a large brown spot on it). I've read about diseases etc but wonder if the plants are too new to the garden to have picked anything up yet - very healthy when planted. The Clematis is particulalry odd another planted next to it at the same time is fine!

Anyway, sorry for the rambling email but I love my new little garden and am keen to make it a bees paradise. Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated by me and a sad pregnant wife!!

Thanks

Jaimie

Attached Files:

2. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    Hi (you're going to have to give yourself a shorter name) :heehee:

I'm not an expert, but the clematis doesn't look bad to me. The flowers will be dying off this time of year, so thats nothing to worry about. You do know to water newly planted plants every day? and water in the evening, so the sun doesnt scorch wet leaves. I dont see anything to be unduly worried about, anyway.

3. We finally own a garden!

We finally own a garden! Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks RandyRos for the swift reply.

I will think of a more appropriate name!!

I really am a garden virgin, 7 long years in a flat, and so didn't realise I had to water the new plants every day (i can imagine a few groans at that). Some invaluable information already then, thanks, will water religously for the first few weeks?

I was concerned as all the other plants seem to be coping fine/happy in fact (including my new raised bed veg patch - which is blooming :SUNsmile:) but those two looked very sorry for themselves.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 2
    • Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +827
      Hello and welcome to GC.AFOAG Heucheras the bees love them and lavendars your clematis will reward you again in the Spring.