1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with spindly hydrangea

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NessaJ70, Sep 1, 2018.

1. NessaJ70

NessaJ70 Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    IMG_2963.JPG IMG_2962.JPG hi, I have a Hydrangea Annabelle which I planted last year. In mid summer, lots of the flower heads were forming but the stems were very spindly and could not support the weight of the flower heads so I pruned some back.

As you can see from the photos, there are a few flower heads left and the stems are still very spindly. I know you are meant to leave the flower heads on over winter but should I prune back the stems to try and get thicker stronger ones next year? I've probably done this completely wrong so far but how do I rectify this? Thanks very much

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya NessaJ70 :)

It's the nature of the beast....Annabelle does produce very large flowers and the wood sometimes is unable to aupport them esp on good rich soil. Pruning helps but bear in mind the harder you prune the bigger the floweheads will be and the more likely it is they will droop.
    You can do either of 2 things as I see it........support some of the stems. Not really an attractive option I think; makes the bush look too rigid and unnatural. Or, prune lightly early next spring. This produces slightly smaller flowers but more of them and they are better supported.

If you dont like the flowers drooping you can cut them off but why not enjoy them as they are?

Or, why not make a present of Annabelle to someone? Then buy Strong Annabelle for yourself. :) This has much stronger wood better able to support the flowers. Or go for one of the paniculata hydrangeas like Limelight......these produce lots of large flowers over a longer period and do so on current season's wood. :) The PG's are my favourite hydrangeas.......there are one or two dwarf varieties now incl Bombshell which is a real beauty

• Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Maybe Nessa only gives presents to people she likes Verdun :psnp:.....:noidea:

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        It's just that life's too short to "carry" plants under performing. :noidea: I would simply replace the hydrangea :)

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        Well I can definitely think of one or two people I would like to give Annabelle to :oops:

• NessaJ70

NessaJ70 Gardener

Ratings:
        +46
        Thanks very much Verdun, that's really helpful. I'll give it a prune next Spring and see how that goes, and if that doesn't work, I'll replace it.

I had no idea there was a Strong Annabelle. I can't understand why a 'normal' Annabelle is produced if there is a better variety with stronger stems available. I saw the Annabelle at a RHS garden and loved the large white flowers which is why I chose it, and that one didn't seem to have issues with the stems so may have been the stronger one.

I agree about not keeping plants that aren't doing what you want them to do. It's a battle I have with my other half who thinks you shouldn't get rid of things if they're still alive, even if they're not right! :smile:

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Strong Annabelle came later Nessa. :)

Please dont let my suggestion to get rid put you off Annabelle....a tad tongue-in-cheek ! :) It is an excellent plant and some on the forum grow it superbly. Shiney, for example, grows it and maybe will post pictures for you

A. light pruning then. Dont overwater it or overfeed as these can produce lush weak growth. Grow it slightly harder and the wood should support the flowers better. Strong Annabelle can wait. Annabelle may delight you next year:)

• NessaJ70

NessaJ70 Gardener

Ratings:
        +46
        Thanks Verdun, I probably have overwatered it which won't have helped! When would you suggest to do the light prune and roughly taking how much off?