Heuchera -- powdery mildew?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Kon, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Kon

Kon Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    I have a nice heuchera that has been very happy in a pot on a sunny patio. As it was getting too big for the pot, I transplanted it a few days ago to the ground, in part shade. We've had a fair bit of rain.

I noticed today that there are traces of white powder on some of the leaves. It looks like powdery mildew. I've removed the leaves with an apparent infection.

I guess the plant is susceptible because of its move, but it's probably too late to move it back. Would a sunnier spot help?

What is the best course of action? Should I go for a commercial fungicide? Some people say a baking soda solution with a small amount of fairy liquid sprayed on the leaves works.

Many thanks

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Heucheras are generally better in some shade than full sun.

Possibly it is mildew due to the change of location and colder soil, but would expect it to recover with the warmer spring.

Generally find Rose Clear Ultra has a good fungicide in it plus its bug killing properties, though they also do a Fungus Clear only version.