1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Heucheras

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I have seen heucheras in shops many times. They have always been in small pots and from that it's hard to visualise the final size. Today I saw palace purple in the range in a much bigger pot. It looked quite impressive. I thought it might work as a backdrop to Geum Tangerine.

20180622_153744.jpg

I am a bit confused with conflicting plan descriptions. Is it evergreen? How big would it expect to grow? Does it require sun or shade. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

G.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hope you don't mind my view on this Gary.....Palace Purple, for me, is one of the worst heucheras. Its foliage browns too easily...sun or just in its dna. And poor in sunshine.

Heucheras, in most places, are evergreen....certainly here.

Heucheras are ok in the sun, according to variety.....the yellow, orange, pinky red ones will struggle though so the chocolate, purple black are best. Dappled shade is ideal.

How big? Foliage usually 40 to 70 cm according to variety, more wide than high. When flowering add another 30 cm

I would suggest Black Taffeta, Obsidion, Berry Smoothie and Black Pearl...there are lots now.....all far superior to the old Palace Purple. As a background to T. Tangerine? Colours work well, so yes.

Dont go for large specimens of heuchera in preference to variety.....they all grow quickly. As a matter of fact, I divide mine every 2 or 3 years....as I do with TT....so you will quickly have lots of plants:)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018