1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hibiscus Help!! Arghh,

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CanadianLori, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
  2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    Bringing this back to the top as now I have a new dilemma with my tropical Hibiscus.

This time I brought her in for overwintering and she is down under LED's in one of the grow tents however she is hitting the ceiling in there and also taking up most of the space. She's got to be shifted somewhere else because soon I will need the space for all of the seeds I'm trying to start.

She's been on a 12 hour light schedule and right now, it is only coming up to 11 hours of daylight.

Would it seriously harm her to bring her up tomorrow or would the shock of suddenly less hours of light kill her? :scratch:

I really don't want to lose a third plant because of my own stupidity/ignorance!

Many thanks
    Lori

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Hi

I think a temperature shock would be the problem then light at the moment, as the nights are drawing out slowly ... what does bring her up mean ? to what ? plus I would slow down on the watering feeding so you dont over encourage early growth , would a little pruning be ok ?

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,061
        I'd move it to a sunny window if one is available.
        Has it been in very humid conditions?
        Only I think that could be the big shock if it has.
        I don't think one less hour a day is likely to have too much effect but you could get some leaf loss.
        Not ideal but if that does happen maybe a bit of careful pruning will sort it out.
        I I always think with this kind of thing we are in survival mode atm, growth really comes a bit later.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,616
          Up to the main floor. I should have said as a transitional move since she won't be going outside until almost June.

I am terrified of cutting things as so far nothing has forgiven me for doing so.

I'll bring her up tomorrow and put her where she gets some sunlight. The humidity will be a bit lower up here but the tempersture should be about equal.

I'll read up about pruning. :scratch:

• Like Like x 2