1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Holly Hocks.. Have I killed them?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Frangipani, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Frangipani

Frangipani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted some double Holly hocks in the bakc of my garden bit, against the wall.. they are growing really well and I was watering them everyday so they settled in nicely..

Only one of them flowered, which is cool with me as they are only young.. BUT I've noticed that the leaves are all covered in little bobbles that look like blackfly, but with no legs or wings.. maybe they are just baby buggies? Anwya - I sprayed them with my washing up water and cut off the worst effected. They are looking a little bare at the mo, but still look like they will survive.. maybe.. if I'm lucky.

Will the buggies have effected them bably enough for them to not make the winter?

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Save the seeds and plant them elsewhere! Bin or burn infected parts.
    I hope they do o.k because I would love some double seeds next year!! :D

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    They're aphids, my friend! Holyhocks are prone to them. But if you spray regularly throughout the season and don't let them get a strangle-hold, they should be okay. Feed your plants as well, a well nourished plant can stand an attack better than a starved one!

4. Frangipani

Ratings:
    +0
    very very stupid question.. will they come back next year or are they a one season type jobbie plant..?? My gran always seems to have them in teh same place every year..

*hangs head in shame for not know if my plants are annuals or not..*

5. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Holyhocks are best grown as a biennial. Easy enough to colect the seed and sow in trays during late summer for next year flowering. They will keep going for a few years but 2nd and successive year flowerings can be dissapointing and might not all be doubles. It's also a good idea to plant in different locations if possible as they are heavy feeders and take a lot out of the soil. Failing that, dig a trench and add loads o' compost before planting out the seedlings.

As yours didn't do much in the way of flowering this year you can probably leave them to overwinter. Just give them a good top mulch and feed in spring once the new growth starts.

6. Frangipani

Ratings:
    +0
    My gran has always told me that they like 'rubbish soil' ??

7. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just checked my RHS font of all things green and I guess I was a bit out on this one. Seems drainage is more important than soil fertility.

RHS A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants

"Cultivation: Grow in moderately fertile, well drained soil in full sun. May require staking on exposed sites. Grow as annuals or biennials to limit the spread of hollyhock rust."

8. Frangipani

Ratings:
    +0
    ahh.. that might be the problem.. 'drainage and full sun' woops..

the soil is a little claggy and they are sorta behind a tree..

Guess it's best to move them now-ish?? Before they start growing again..