1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Homemade soil mix

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Matt-tropical, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Matt-tropical

Matt-tropical Gardener

Process operator
    Ratings:
    +121
    So looking for some advice again on a home made mix for my giant pots. I’ve done a lot of reading over the last few days about the difference between compost ,topsoil and soil based growing mediums. Some of you may have seen my post on my plan to use some of my existing medium clay mixed with my go to compost (verve peat based) to make a good medium for my giant pots for gunnera and some other things. After a second look at what I have I’ve decided against using some of my existing soil due to a plan change meaning I won’t have this soil spare. So on to my actual question, having never used the John Innes 3 recipe soil would this be good to mix into the verve compost to make my own blend? Or is the number 3 and the verve stuff to similar.I’m thinking something like 125 ltr of verve to 75 ltr of number 3, or would I be better off with bagged topsoil mixed with the verve compost. I’ve had such good results with the verve stuff in my gardening career but need this mix to hold onto the moisture a bit more than I would normally like for my tropical plants.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    I usually mix for general use, 60 litres, peat based compost, "jacks magic" probably similar to "verve", 30 ltrs JI no3, and 25kg bag of builders sharp sand.
    Chuck it all in a concrete mixer.:snorky:

But for certain plants I add osmocote, when potting,more sand, or grit, depending on the plant.

I'd steer clear of using top soil in potting composts as it wont be consistent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Matt-tropical

Matt-tropical Gardener

Process operator
      Ratings:
      +121
      Thanks for the reply never thought of using my cement mixer for this, was going to mix in barrow but this will make life so much easier. Have a ton of sharp sand aswell from doing my mums driveway so that’s a bonus. :love30:

• Like Like x 1