1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

homemade weedkiller

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by keithhampson, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    See post #35

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,227
    What boat did Douglas Adams get on?

3. Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
    +250
    EU product and licensing laws apply to how things are sold - they are restrictions on shops and manufacturers - not us! Once you take it home, it's up to you how you use it on your own property, as long as you don't poison someone.
    As long as we're not selling any products here, there's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing the effects of household substances on plants. There's absolutely nothing wrong with advising anyone anywhere on what mixtures work best!
    Lordy!

• Like Like x 2
    • shiney

Ratings:
      +118,227
      I agree with Cacadores on the legal definition :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • derekpotter

derekpotter Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        EU law does not say salt is dangerous, it merely requires that anything used as a pesticide be approved. That's "used", not "sold". Stupid it may be but the law applies to home-made weedkillers. So, by default, salt is effectively banned as a weedkiller because no-one has bothered to test it. Testing is not a trivial matter either - a certain well-known product used for killing honey fungus could not be tested because of the excessive expense and is now sold as a path cleaner that happens to be damaging to the fungi that trees may be hosting :)

I agree that well-established safe materials "ought" to be approved at public expense, but the question is then where one would draw the line. Soap? Vinegar? Iron sulphate? Bleach? Carbolic acid? Caustic soda? And would you want the tests to be compliant? It's not just the expense either - approval cannot not be given without testing on live animals. Would you put salt and vinegar into your pet Labrador's eyes? What about bleach? Anyway, it's not going to happen.

The good news is glyphosate is out of patent now, so M. do not have a monopoly. Typically a bottle of concentrate that will treat 100 square meters thirty times over is about £15 so it will cost you £1 a year if you spray twice. On the other hand, excess/residual salt is very harmful to garden soils. Clays which have been laboriously worked into crumbly, rich, garden soil turn into a sticky unworkable mess. Why use a really terrible weedkiller like salt when modern synthetics are so much better? Of course glyphosate is rather slow but it's not the only herbicide on the market. If you want instant results, get a flame gun. Just don't use salt!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +45,998
          Good first post Derek and welcome to the forum :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I agree. I don't see why the government shouldn't test "Salt" etc. What I think is needed is some scientists "skilled in the art" to decide if the product is likely to pass the EU test, and be effective at what it has traditionally been used for, and if that's the case then the test should proceed. I think in the case of Salt that there is likelihood of collateral damage from runoff / into waterways etc, such that it may not be a good home-made solution to the problem; in the event that such a test fails then the usage can actually be published as "dangerous" so folk can stop doing it (less assume that there is a undesirable side-effect found that folk don't generally know about)

Their newer formulations still have patent protection and I for one am using them (whether I/we like Monsanto / Monsanto's behaviour is the subject of a different debate :) ).

Monsanto's latest formulation does not have a hazard symbol; the active ingredient, Glyphosate , never has as it is only mildly toxic, but the adjuvants and surfactants have been poisonous / hazardous, and therefore put the user, and others, at risk, but Monsanto has now found effective alternatives that are not hazardous. So my preference is to use their brand in case I am stupid and splash some in my eyes, or get some on my skin etc. or a child finds the container ... or a host of other, admittedly avoidable, "maybes".

Dunno if that safer formulation is available to Joe Public as yet though ... its available for sale on Ebay of course.

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,227
          Welcome to GC, Derek :blue thumb:. I liked your post but there's a major difference between the word of the law, the intent of the law and the effect of the law.

I would rather use my own experience of whether I should use 'household' items to get a job done than rely on the sales pitch of many of the producers. Technically, they could argue, we are not allowed to use beer as 'slug pubs' if the intent is for the slugs to die and not just to let them have a good night out. Or a little bit of washing up liquid in a hand spray to 'wash off' aphids from my beans (I suppose that negates me being an organic gardener :doh:). Or using a little touch of Meths for brushing fruit trees for woolly aphid. etc. None of these are licenced but are effective and do no more harm (and probably a lot less) to the environment than the licenced chemicals.

• derekpotter

Ratings:
          +1
          Well, the "sales pitch" here is actually EU approval and has a hell of a lot of research behind it. An amateur's experience cannot compete with that. But we don't have to choose. We need all the information we can get and take it all, with ummm... a pinch of salt!

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,227
          Tut, Tut!!! 'A pinch of salt' indeed :heehee: I presume you're referring to use it for sprinkling on slugs. ;)

Not quite sure EU approval has got proper research behind it. You only need to look at the Stevia debacle! I got involved in getting that reversed after having read the hundreds of pages of scientific 'evidence' that 'proved' that it was dangerous!!

• derekpotter

Ratings:
          +1
          Well, of course I had to look up stevia - Wikipedia tells me that an anonymous tip-off (!!!) led the FDA to ban it and this was followed by a world-wide panic. It does sound remarkably like a conspiracy. Off-topic, but what was your involvement in clearing its name, if I may ask?

I agree that we need to be very cautious when a company's own research shows that their product is harmless. [irony]I suppose we should be grateful for our increasingly litigious society to keep them in check [/irony]. One day, when I rule the world, making Bad Science (BS) claims will be a capital crime even if no-one is harmed... that's after I get Criminal Stupidity onto the statute books :)

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,227
          It's a long story so I'll try and cut it short.

A new company applied to the EU for their Stevia product to be licenced. They had done all the research and had the hundreds of pages of research suitably completed. On the evidence in their papers the EU inspector said he had no choice but to ban it as it showed that it could cause serious defects in children. The inspector said he didn't like the way the research had been done but there was nothing that was inaccurate about it.

So I decided to read the whole thing and check up on the parameters for doing the research (not sleeping gives me plenty of time for reading boring paperwork :)). The problem with their research was that they had overcooked the measurements. For example: you have to test the product on rats but are expected, but not compelled to use at least three different breeds of rats. They only used one breed, which was higly susceptible to reproductive defects. They also had to use the product in at least a certain strength. They used it much stronger than recommended - not against the rules.

I complained to my EMP and to a number of consumer organisations and also did some research into the company that had done the research. With a lot of help from some people I know, we managed to find out that the company was owned by a well known company that produced artificial sweeteners! It seemed pretty obvious that they wanted to get Stevia banned because it did away with some of their competition.

I was only one of the people that started stirring the pot but it eventually (about six years) got it back on the market.

The silly thing about it was that Stevia qualified under an obscure EU rule that said if it can be shown that the product had been used for more than a certain amount of time (I think it's three generations) without noticeable ill effects, then it is allowable. It has been used for over four hundred years by the South American Indians.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • derekpotter

Ratings:
            +1
            They asked their competitors to test their product ???

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,227
            No. There were a growing number of small companies that were producing natural Stevia (it's the extract from a herb) as a sweetener. They couldn't afford to put the product through the rigorous test required to show that it wasn't harmful. So a lot of them had to either close down or try to find a market in countries that didn't ban it.

It was a reasonably cheap way, for a very big company, to stop more and more small companies edging into their very lucrative market.

The EU banned it as did most of the U.S (a couple of states ignored the FDA ban - Hawaii and one other which I think was Minnesota). I was still buying mine from Hawaii, Canada and Switzerland. The stupid laws the EU have said that it couldn't be sold in this country but didn't ban us from buying it! So buying it from outside the EU was not breaking any law.

• Like Like x 1
            • derekpotter

Ratings:
              +1
              Oh, I see. Pretend to be testing something you're interested in selling but make it fail so dramatically that it gets banned. There's a word for that, but I don't want to be ejected from the forum :mute: Makes you proud to be a member of the human race, doesn't it?