1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Honey Fungus

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Will Dunkerley, May 23, 2005.

1. Will Dunkerley

Will Dunkerley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a customer who thinks they have Honey Fungus in one of their borders, but this is not something I've dealt with before, so I have a couple of questions.

The customer wanted to dig out the entire border and replace it with uncontaminated soil, but my experience with Fairy Rings is that it is almost impossible to remove all fungal mycellium, and that even a tiny amount left behind will regenerate. Is this the case with Honey Fungus?

Also, the customer bought some tar acids from a garden centre. I'm guessing that this is probably safe to use with pets, but they've already lost one in the past due to chemical poisoning, so they're understandably cautious. I'd be grateful for any input on this.

And finally, the customer moved one affected plant to a different border before she realised that it was Honey Fungus that was killing everything. I'd guess this means that there is a fair chance that the fungus will spread to the other border, but I'm not sure how virulent this stuff is, or if it particularly sensitive to certain conditions. I need to know whether to get her to treat the other border as well.

Thanks for any help on this - lawns are so much easier ;)

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Will
    Before you go all out & start digging check that it really is honey fungus - look for black "bootlace" type hyphae under bark & just under soil surface & brownish (edible & very nice by the way) mushrooms, with darker brown scales on the cap - in late autumn.
    Had the same prob in a garden couple of years back - had to remove a 10metre birch + all roots surrounding soil (oh what fun!) - had spread under a lawn, bless it. Dug to a depth of about 60cm (2foot)& replaced soil & - Touch wood ;)
    no reoccurence up to now)If it's any help- honey fungus only "attacks" woody plants (trees, woody shrubs etc)& has no effect on "green" plants i.e. herbaceous perennials etc. If she digs out to about 60cm depth/width should be ok - rhizomorphs not deep penetrating - get her to remove any of the remaining plant material, "boot laces" & bin or burn them - not suitable for composting! Try this link for more info - does give resistant plants too!
    http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/dc19.htm

As for tar acids - I seem to remember they've been withdrawn for garden use (Armillatox is now being marketed as a patio cleaner or some such) I have a dim recollection of posting a link in some other thread to some indepth info re this but can't remember where/when(sorry!)

Hope this helps

[ May 23, 2005, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Bayleaf ]

3. Will Dunkerley

Will Dunkerley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bayleaf - it's definitely Honey Fungus, your description confirms it. It is only the woody plants that are affected, and I saw some of the hyphae that she had dug out - impressive [​IMG]

Looks like there might be some digging to do...

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Bayleaf,

this is what you wrote on March 23rd :-

Hope I'm not too late with this one. Armillatox has been banned for use as a fungicide, the manufacturers, rather than withdraw sales, have simply re-labelled it for another use. The active ingredients (tar acids) are known carcinogens; Neurotoxins; reproductive & developmental toxicants & ground water contaminents. Now I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have that in contact with something I want to eat!!! & into the environment. Check out www.foe.co.uk. You could try growing in raised beds with fresh topsoil, regular crop rotation as mentioned before + don't grow stocks & candy tuft either. Soz to go on, but there are ways to get round these things without going all chemical.
    Bayleaf

on this thread

Hope this helps.

Nathan.

Ps, if you want to search for something specific, try the 'search' facility near the top on the right of the screen.