1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hop plant dying?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dean Boland, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Dean Boland

Dean Boland Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    20180801_194020.jpg 20180801_194009.jpg 20180801_194029.jpg 20180801_194438.jpg
    Hi, I have a 1st year cascade hop plant, up until now it has been growing very well approx 23ft and beginning to produce many cones, however it has now starting to what looks like wilt and die. On Saturday night I checked the plant when I was showing it off to family members it looked in very good health, then on Sunday it rained hard all day so I didn't water obviously, then I didn't water it Monday as I assumed it had plenty the day before. Then on Tuesday coming home I saw it and my heart sank it looked like it hasn't been watered for weeks I really don't know what has happened and I would really appreciate any insight you guys have. I wouldn't say it has been overwatered or underwatered on general as I said it reached 22ft strong and healthy and producing cones now it looks a different plant.
    I cannot see any signs of bugs or mites to my amature eye, there are a handful of bines that remain healthy but I'd say over 90% is affected.
    I throw on a handful of miracle grow fish blood and bonemeal fertiliser every few weeks.
    Any ideas?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,911
  3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,323
    Probably a fungal problem, maybe Verticulum wilt.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,911
      Is it in a pot or growing in the ground.
      I'm wondering if you have been over fertilising.
      If in a pot, I doubt it would have got enough water with the recent rain.

• Dean Boland

Ratings:
      +2
      It is in a large half barrel shaped pot, with this hot summer I'd say I have been watering it 9/10 days then as I said every few weeks a small handful of fertilizer?, it seems odd that this seems to have happened after a days heavy rain, first good rain I've had for many weeks

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,911
      Yeah, but if you stopped watering after the rain......Often rain doesn't reach the roots of container plants, have a poke around under the surface a couple of inches or more and see if it is dry.

• Dean Boland

Ratings:
      +2
      Ok, it was out in around 10 hours of heavy rain I really can't imagine the whole pot not getting a good soaking, then it wasn't waters for 24hours donyoy think that 24hours without watering could devastate an otherwise strong plant in such a way? I assumed that hops very relatively drought resistant considering it was 1day since heavy rain it seems really odd to me, I've kept i growing strong through the July heatwave, then after a day of actual rain it seems to die?
      Thanks for all your help by the way.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Dean Boland

Ratings:
        +2
        And ive since been watering like mad the lasr 2 days to try and save it so the soil is currently damp

• Dean Boland

Ratings:
        +2
        Could it possibly be downy mildew or as stated above verticulum wilt?

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,911
        Mildew rarely kills a plant that quickly, but verticillium wilt could.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        Just found this....
        ....... Black root rot – One such disease of hops plants is called Black root rot or Phytophthora citricola. This fungal disease causes water lesions on the roots of the plants, blackened or yellow leaves, and wilting stems. This hops plant disease is easily mistaken for Verticillium wilt or Fusarium canker.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Hops Plant Diseases: Treating Diseases Affecting Hops Plants In Gardens Hops Plant Diseases: Treating Diseases Affecting Hops Plants In Gardens

• Like Like x 1
        • Dean Boland

Ratings:
          +2
          That was a very informative read thank you, it seems to be either black root rot or verticulum wilt, as there are a few shoots still healthy is there a particular fungicide which you recommend that may save part if my plant? . If my plant does have either of these is my plant viable for next year or am I wasting my time, how can I ensure this never happens again I'm absolutely gutted to be honest it was growing so well I even had a beer recipe designed to put the hops into when they were ready. Thanks again

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          Dean, I think that sometimes it`s easiest and best to admit defeat - and that is what I would do for now. If that plant belonged to me, I would chop it off at the ankles, and leave it alone to see what happens....It is no good at all grieving about it.
          I think that a lot of us will have lost precious plants this summer, I know I have.
          Maybe it would be an idea to start again from scratch - in another area of the garden. It might pay to plant a new hop into the ground rather than a pot :scratch: Good luck:)

• Informative Informative x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            I would go with @Tetters suggestion . Cut it right back and it may start to regrow before the autumn . I have just removed a Golden Hop plant . Liked it for a few years , lovely green leaves. But it became a bit of a thug and spread - it's still in next doors garden !

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
            Ratings:
            +5,404
            :snorky: I still feel guilty for planting carex pendular here many years ago. We are all plagued with the ruddy stuff now.:oopss:

• Funny Funny x 1