1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hose / tap connectors

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Loofah, Apr 14, 2021.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I've never had a reel either, i have mine wound around two wooden "things" fixed to the wall, the tap end remains connected all the time and I just unwind how much I need, depending on what I'm doing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,617
      My hose stays connected during the summer months too and I store it in the shed over winter to keep frost off it. It's about 35 years old now and was made to last.

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        I have a 30m hose on a wind up hose reel. Now winding it up is a bit of a pain, not difficult just boring. So I have about 15m on a hook hanger. This is easy to take off and loop back on after use. If I do need the full 30m I just pull it off the reel. The hose between the reel and the hanger goes into a couple of U shaped clips for safety so there is no trip hazard.

51IufWIc9oL._AC_SX425_.jpg

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,525
          I have two wall hung hose reels that one has a 50m hose on and the other a 75m hose. I've never had any problem with those and never had a problem with leaking connectors :blue thumb:. I also have a 30m hose on a floor stand that I can use to extend either of the other two. I'll take some photos later.

The hoses only get rolled back in for the winter. Rolling them back in also helps get the water out of the hose so the freezing weather doesn't do any damage. The 75m hose runs along under my hedge down to the veg and fruit area. The 50m is only rolled back in the growing season if we have guests coming as that one is used for the main garden and the front garden (need the extension to reach some of the front).

• Like Like x 2
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,617
            My bungalow is a modern build Shiney so I won't risk attaching anything heavy to it. My hose is 46m and heavy, I struggle to pick it up.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,525
            My hose reels are attached to the summerhouse which is about 15 years old. They've been on there for all that time and so have the connectors.

The green reel is the 50m and runs off to the side and round the corner to the main lawn and the front garden (with another portable reel to attach to it for almost the full extent of the front.

The grey reel which is 75m runs straight down the back garden to the veg plot
            P1510269.JPG

This tap connector has never leaked :blue thumb:
            P1510270.JPG

P1510271.JPG

I've put a basic two hose splitter on to this and that leaks a tiny bit. I had the hose on at the time I took the photo.
            P1510272.JPG

Both hoses have a a 'waterstop' connector on the ends so that I can have only one hose running at a time if I wish. I have to be careful not to have the water on whilst both hoses don't have an attachment on otherwise it can sometimes blow the 'waterstop' end off one of them. They don't seem as firmly connected as the tap connector.

• Like Like x 2