1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hosepipe Ban

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,629
      I dont pay for surface water removal, but I do pay for 90%+ of the water I use to be returned to the sewers.
      Which dont happen.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,310
        I don't have mains drainage so don't pay for water going to sewage disposal - except to the company with the sludge lorry.

I'm on a water meter and pay less than when I paid on rateable value :rolleyespink: but that's because the rateable value is sky high - but that's another argument!

Smart meters - they've just come out with the info that they don't save you what they said they would. We've been saying that on here for ages :noidea:. No smart meter for me, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,046
          I'm on a meter too and have been for many years. I took up their offer of having a meter fitted with the option of going back to the rateable value method if that was cheaper, it's always been much cheaper on the meter so I stuck with it. Even though our RV is high there are only two of us in the house so overall water consumption is relatively low. I think we pay £35 / month including the sewage charge, I think it's good value considering how much gas and electricity costs.

• Like Like x 3
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I use the tap at the Harbour when no one is looking :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
              +7,634
              We moved in last October and the water meter didn't work. It took the water company 3 months to figure that out and fix it. They sent a "fair estimate bill" for the months they didn't get readings. For us that was ok.

Obviously, since you have a history of consumption your water company would estimate the bills based on those. So perhaps you need a Plan Pete :cool:

Wait until late spring and hope it's raining like mad so you use minimum quantities for several months. When the heat comes, the meter "gets damaged" and when the estimated invoice arrives you can claim that you actually spent the time in Tenerife. Meanwhile, fill all water butts in the neighbourhood and put up a watering service start up company. Perfect :whistle: ;)

• Like Like x 2
              • Funny Funny x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,310
                I used my hose to put out the fire when my neighbour held a bonfire too close to his fence (the other side of his garden) and burnt one of the fence panels down. My hose managed to save the other panels.

Should I charge him for the water used and my professional hosing skills?

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  The latest report on the TV said that a group of MP's investigating the Smart Meter roll out said that it was well behind schedule, would end massively over budget, would save less than £11 a year for most customers, that those meters being installed now were already obsolete.:wallbanging:
                  The "Director of Policy" of the company installing the smart meters when questioned about who would pay the money when it became over budget refused to answer the question. The News Announcer pointed out that the installation of smart meters is being paid for through taxes on our energy bills and it was obvious the customer would have to pay for the over budget bill, the "Director" ignored that and kept stupidly repeating his Mantra of "it will save people money each year. We need to replace the present "dirty" technology":doh: I have no idea what he meant by "dirty technology" but didn't seem to be referring to the way we burn fuel to make power.
                  It was also pointed out to the "Director" that, when on a Smart Meter and changing suppliers, that the Smart Meter would revert from being a Digital Meter to an analogue meter and become useless for reporting energy consumption:wallbanging: He just mumbled out his mantra again and tried to ignore that fact.
                  It does appear that the installing company has been given a blank cheque and even failing to install all the meters by the deadline of 2020 they will still be paid the over budget bill which will come out of our pockets...........nice work if you can get it.:dunno:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 2
                    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2018
                  • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Is that enough to power Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham for a year like they're telling us?:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +85,629
                      As many will know, when my water meter was installed I had a leak, I told them it was leaking, they just said they would fix it for free.
                      They then sent me a stupid bill, which they took from my bank account.
                      I said there is a leak, they said dont worry we will fix it.

Four months later they sent round this old bloke with a bent coat hanger, and a young lad.
                      They burrowed around, dug four holes, wandered around with the bent coat hanger waiting for it to cross over, it never crossed over where the leak was finally found.

They fixed the leak around 4pm after being there all day, but got a bit fed up when it came to replacing the concrete they had dug up.
                      Just threw a couple of bags of ready mix in each hole, water, and ran a broom over the top.

In the end I told them to sod off and I did the concreting myself.

Aren't our water companies wonderful?:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +16,246
                        We went on a water meter about 12 years ago . I have found it quite a lot cheaper than the rateable costing , roughly half price . There are just two of us , and Molly who never has a bath :snorky: For a family of 4 the meter to RV costing may be about the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                          +17,487
                          I remember my dear old dad....always one for bargains, haggling and getting full value....having the hose pipe from our neighbour filling up our water tanks. He had bought a house where water came from a well so he had no water charges. However, during the summer the well ran dry, hence the hosepipe from the neighbour.

It got better. Because the house was advertised as having water from a well and it ran dry, my dad got the estate agents to pay him for collecting water elsewhere not knowing he had a free water supply. It got so expensive the agents finally gave him a hefty settlement :).

A cheeky, resourceful character my old dad and he still makes me smile when I think of him:)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                            Ratings:
                            +6,097
                            The water company for your area has the legal right to install water meters as a means of charging YOU for the amount of water you use. Thankfully, as a council tenant, the council have an arrangement whereby we pay a nominal fee along with our rent.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                              Ratings:
                              +89,784
                              Water meter's,Smart meter's,I was taught that if the power's to be said something was good for me and would prove beneficial,then it's generally the opposite :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
                              • Like Like x 1
                              • Funny Funny x 1
                              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                                +0
                                Pete the previous owner had it installed but the bill since living here every 6mths isn't to bad just over £200

We've just had SSE ask us if we want a meter installed free as they're in the area and they've been told no but they keep asking.

Well they moved out water meter reader from by the property down to the end of the road...so it's combined with others in the road and works out better apparently but like you say what if it gets damaged :yikes: