1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hosepipe connector for threaded outdoor tap

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Daisy Chain, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Daisy Chain

Daisy Chain Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Does anyone know which is the best hosepipe connector to fit onto a threaded outdoor tap, please? It's at my mum's and I'm going to jet wash her driveway, etc. Would like to do today, if possible.

2. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi Daisy Chain,

I just use a standard plastic one (Hoselock). I have used pressure washer several times without issue.

Rusty

3. Daisy Chain

Daisy Chain Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for your reply, Rusty. I decided to go with what I could find (in the shops) and bought a 'kit' for £1.29 from Pound Stretcher. When I got to my mum's I checked the fittings and fiddled about with the different ones. Five minutes' later, I realised that my hosepipe just fitted directly to the outdoor tap!!!! I knew that last time I'd tried (about 2 years ago) my hose didn't fit, but realised today, that I've bought a different one since then. I now have a large selection of connectors (bought over the years, for one reason or another), that I really don't need. Never mind, I got a lot of my mum's front/side path and driveway cleared and tomorrow I'll start on the back.

4. martysparty

martysparty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I am in the same predicament. I need a new connector but in my experience the plastic ones are fine for a while but over time fail and leak. Others have said that brass fittings would be better. Found one in Toolstation which consist of 100mm spray nozzle. 2x 1/2" quick connectors, one with water stop. 3/4" BSP tap adaptor fits 1/2" outdoor tap. Would this be suitable for fixing to an outside tap?

5. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    @martysparty Toolstation do several sets like that, a cheapy £3 one, a brass one or Hoselocks version.

Any should fit a standard outdoor tap ok, but like any of the plastic types they do not last forever.

If you apply a smear of silicone grease/spray or vaseline around the rubber O ring of the actual tap connector it makes things a lot easier to click together.

• Agree Agree x 1