1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hosta'sand shade loving ferns and grasses

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by accidentalgardener, Jan 10, 2009.

1. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all you lovely people :D

I need advice on the best place to get large unusual Hosta's and large ferns and upright grasses to plant into the purple slate chipped area in my famously shady front garden which is a dog free zone :D

I'm tackling one side at a time and want a bit of a statement effect so any idea's will be gratefully received thanks my friends :D

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I love King of Ferns which can get quite big. I have several of them, best in late Spring.
    As for Hostas, the list is as long as your arm but especially Hadspen Blue for its blue/green leaves and the ability to withstand slug attacks as the leaves are tougher than other hostas :)

3. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Aaron :D

Thanks for the quick reply :) I will look that one up. They all seem so expensive these days, the unusual ones seem to be mail order only - any idea's on the best places to look?

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I have mine from the garden centre, bought as small plugs for £3.00 each or less. I also keep a list of the hostas I have on my mobile so whenever I am out and about, I can check and it I see a new one, get it :)

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Iv'e just bought 2 Big Daddy hostas Paula, £2 each, thats cheap, but it did look like i had bought 2 pots of soil :) Your best chance for bargains this time of year is Nurseries, the garden centre's just neglect them, let them die then throw them out...

6. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi both of you :D

Down here they go for around £8 each :( i will have to have a really good look around i think, i dont suppose either of you have any pics you cold post on here to give me more varietys i may not hae thought of?

Go on i'l be ya best friend :D and Dee if yu dont i shall hound you on the mobile :D

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    First pic-the hosta I mentioned, Hadspen Blue is at the left hand side of the picture, next to the Cortaderia taking over!

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Another one (I don't seem to be able to do multiple pics in one response)

My little collection of Hostas on the patio to keep them dafe from the slugs. There's also a fern in that pic too-King of Ferns I think...

9. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They look lovely Aaron, thanks for taking the time to upload them for me :) do either of you think there is any point in ordering Hosta Seeds?

The nurseries and garden centres around here are so expensive its unbeleivable starting at £8 for a small one up to around £18 for the large variety and the choice is rather small to say the least :(

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    No pic of Big Daddy Paula, But ive just recieved the J Parker Catalogue and there's 3 for £9.90 i could fancy.. The White feather looks Fab, will brighten up a shady border..
    If you could send me a Txt that would be great because I changed my phone, gave the old one away before realising i lost a lot of numbers, yours and hubs included Duh :)

Just found this site Paula, 10 hostas for £15... Im going to look at it myself....

http://www.vanmeuwen.com/lookup/hosta?er=googlevm;term=hosta&gclid=CLLwneTbhpgCFcsa3godrFOJCQ

I might buy these, There Lovely...

http://www.vanmeuwen.com/plant/60802

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    From what I read about seeding hostas, they never grow true to type, which can be fun as an experiment but annoying if you want a particular variety.
    I looked up the list of hostas I have (went to get my mobile!) and they are (no idea which is which though!)-
    So Sweet
    Josephine
    Mamma Mia
    Fire and Ice
    Golden Tiara

Find a nursery selling them as plugs or find someone who has them already and ask them to divide a few for you-they can be divided easily. Or try ebay in a month or so, people will be selling them on there, once the plants start reappearing in Spring and need dividing.

12. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
  13. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Sam, there is a lovely one onthere i have my eye on :D

14. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Ask me nicely and I might be able to give you a division :)

15. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I especially love hosta "Halcyon". Please consider adding Cimicifuga racemosa "atropurpurea" to the group, you won't regret it. :)