1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How many years will these need to be in the greenhouse....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    I fear that I have gone and let myself be taken in yet again.......

I ordered a couple of hydrangea 'incrediball' 9cm potted plants, with the big white flower heads, and they arrived last week:

2015-04-15 16.12.38.jpg

2015-04-15 16.12.45.jpg

In reality, two 9 cm potted sticks. Only one had signs of life, but I decided to keep them cosy in the greenhouse for a bit, and they now both have a couple of wee green sprouts; however, I am seriously doubting that they will see a planting position this year, and may end up in pots.

Anyone know how vigorous they grow, and what their preferred compost type is (I have MPC and ericaceous to hand)?

Thanks in advance

2. CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,523
    I grew one on which had been divided off another small shrub last spring. Kept it in a 3L pot over summer in morning sun and well watered. Was able to plant it out in February, growing away well now. It did try and flower last summer but I cut it off to encourage root growth.
    This was a 'limelight'.

3. JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,239
  4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    I think they would do better outside all the time, they are tough hardy plants and won't appreciate the heat & low humidity in a greenhouse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      And .... what are the roots like?
      I agree with JWK, get them outside and in the ground too and they will take off just fine :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,622
        They seem to have reasonable root systems, but I am reluctant to put them in a border at the size they are - I tried a small one a couple of years ago and the dog trampled it and killed it within days.

I have some nice big pots, so I will pop them into a couple if those and leave them outside

EDIT - yes, T&M

• Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,225
        I agree, I think they will do much better in the ground, and if anything, will grow quicker

Are you not able to put up some sort of mesh around them to keep the dogs away?

• Agree Agree x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Or, put them in the ground and make a barrier with the big pots so the dog doesn't trample them ;)
          Seriously, FC ... in the ground they will flourish - in pots they will take their own sweet time (and eat away at yours with watering and worry)! Dig 'em in, man!

• Agree Agree x 1