1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to grow my privet quickly

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TonyR, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Just a few words. [thank god for that, someone said]. Privet. Ligustrum. Quite a large family. Soil requirements, well drained with a pH value of 6.0-7.5 Using mpc [multi purpose compost] Usually the manufactures make certain that sufficient chemical feed is present to last around six weeks. If the plants are being kept in some kind of container pending planting out, then basically any proprietry plant food can be given. After that a simple general NPK feed can be used. Having said that. I wonder how many house owners with great privet hedges actually even think about using fertilizers.
    Regarding the flowers. Wow! what a fragrance. NO I fail to see, or have never been taught that these tiny flowers have any drain on the plant.
    I watched the video. Sorry folks. Not speaking against the woman, but. Her words not mine. "Prune in spring....three times a year" Here in the UK, the general advice is to prune /trim/cut hedge, twice during the summer.

I wish our friend all the best with his hedge. Personally I'd have chosen something else, faster growing etc. Never mind. wink.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Young plants grow far better without the flowers in my opinion. Instead of energy going into flowering it goes into producing growth. Flowers on established plants a different matter entirely :)
    Of course, if privet is properly maintained.....cutting twice a year....flowers will not appear! :noidea:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
      +120
      I agree with the get the conifers out, ground prepped and privet planted as soon as possible. I'd put up with a poor privacy screen for a while, knowing that the plants will grow better in the ground than in bags.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • TonyR

TonyR Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        Again, thanks for the advice. I will prick all the flower buds out. Oddly, only a few of the plants have these - is that a male/female thing, or just timing?

In an ideal world, I would plant these out tomorrow, but for a lot of reasons, the conifers aren’t coming up until at least winter 2019, so I’m trying to get the privets as large/bushy as possible until then, and also do that on a limited budget.

I know you can buy decent sized pot-grown privet, but these are very expensive, so I figure as I’ve got a couple of years to play with, I’ll buy cheap bare-root and attempt that myself.

• Like Like x 1