1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hozelock watering system question

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by REMF33, Jun 24, 2018.

1. REMF33

REMF33 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hello
    I have just bought a Hozelock 20 Pot Automatic Watering Kit With AC Plus Timer to use with containers/pots whilst I am on holiday, and I am feeling very stupid as cannot work out how to fit the timer to the tap. Has anyone got one of these? It looks like the only way to fit it is by twisting it onto the tap, but there's not enough clearance for me to do that.
    I have a Hozelock tap splitter on order but I may have the same question for that.
    The Hozelock instructions are not terribly illuminating. They seem to be the visual equivalent of saying 'fit the timer to the tap'!
    If anyone can help, I would be very grateful. I am going away later this week and it looks like we are going to have a heat wave. Cucumbers, tromboncini and courgettes are in jeopardy unless I can find a solution :o

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,609
    Can you buy a short hose to use as an extension to get you through the short term?

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Would have thought, though not seen one in the flesh, that it screws onto a standard 1/2" or 3/4" screw thread of a outdoor tap, looks like they have a white adapter piece.

Hozelock have some Ytubes that might help, though would check the mention of a pressure reducer in the first one ..?

What kind of tap are you trying to connect to, can you post a picture of it ?

Any problems , then as the second video mentions, I would contact Phil in the Customer Services dept.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • REMF33

REMF33 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      Brilliant idea re extension hose, Canadialori. Thanks. I was not thinking straight last night. (Too much sun? Or middle aged brain melt?!)
      Ricky I think I may be missing a fundamental thing re screwing the thing in. If you screw the white piece one way, it screws either onto the timer and off the tap or vice versa if you screw it the other way. I am hoping I am feeling a bit more intelligent when I look at it again after work today.
      A friend threw another spanner into the works saying I need to make sure I have a valve to stop backflow... I may have to leave it for this trip and get a plumber to check before my proper holiday next month. But I shall have another go tonight.
      After I have sorted that problem, assuming I do, I need to work out how to fit the pressure regulator and attach the 4mm hose... You need a magnifying glass for the instructions (which are pictures.) I had seen the videos you posted. The first is more of a promo than instructions, but I will doubtless need the second if I get over the connection issue.
      I used to be good at this sort of thing!
      Thanks again.
      Rachel

• martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
      +10,302
      Its to stop any water getting back into the domestic system, i cant remember the ins/outs but someone once got poisoned i think it was from a pond it was some years ago now,

If your gardens quite level/sloping away from the house/you have good water pressure i wouldn't worry too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • martin-f

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Ive found this, it will save messing about inside the house if you haven't got one a good plumber should have fitted one if it was fitted in the last 20yrs, take a look where the pipe goes outside and see if it has one before you buy anything.
        Non Return Outdoor Tap Connector - 2181 - Hozelock
        Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,609
          I do not have a timer on my low flow system because I have 6 different zones and it would be costly to mess about with it. Nor do I have a pressure regulator. If I did put a timer on my system, I would simply only turn the tap on a quarter turn as I do now and that restricts the pressure.;)

• Like Like x 1
          • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
            Ratings:
            +4,411
            I ordered one of these yesterday as the old mechanical Hoselock one I have which controls my leaky hose system requires setting every time you want to use it. For thirty quid and free postage it's money well spent.

• martin-f

Ratings:
            +10,302
            The non return valve has a water regulator on it Lori so the OP should be ok, but as you say its just a case of regulating via tap if not.
            Capture.PNG
            ttt.PNG

• Informative Informative x 2
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +46,050
              You need to screw the white piece into the timer before fitting to the tap. Then offer up the timer to the tap and turn in the direction shown below onto the tap thread. I found these instructions for another hozelock timer but should give you the general idea:

Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 1
                Last edited: Jun 27, 2018