1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hyacinth recommendations please.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Oct 25, 2015.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Hope I can get some good ideas re Hyacinths (not forced) varieties to choose and where to buy from. Yes I am a bit late to be ordering but should still be ok I hope! I ordered a large amount of Tulips and some Lilies from Parkers Wholesale last year. The Tulips were ok but the Lilies were dreadful (might have been the bad season in fairness). I have confirmed to myself that I really don't like Tulips much and even less that you basically only get 1 year out of them so I won't be buying Tulips in the future.
    I already have some Hyacinths growing in the garden which have been there for years. I have been busy doing other things in the garden and come to with a rush that my very large tubs which "house" my many Lilies only have last years Tulips in them which will no doubt make a miserable display next Spring. I will lift the Tulips and intend to plant Hyacinths instead (about 100 odd). I know I don't like the ones with enormous heads but would be grateful for recommendations for both colour and scent. Thanks very much.

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Silu,

There is a miniature Hyacinth called Scilla Bifolia. It flowers from February to April. Comes in three colours white, pink or blue.

Scilla Bifolia Rosea Specialty Bulbs.jpg

Scilla bifolia.jpg

I think the reason your Tulips don't do so good is that they really need to be planted deeply, around 12" is best and therefore don't do so good in tubs. You could however try the miniature Tulip Species, we have T. Tarda growing in containers that are only about 6" deep and they flower and spread brilliantly.

WP_20150414_009.jpg

These were ours this year.

3. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Thanks @Anthony Rogers. The Tulips were fine such as they were it was the Lillies which were awful. The tubs are over 3ft deep and I planted the Tulips at least 1 ft deep. The tubs are the biggest barrels used in whisky making I think and are about 4ft at their widest. I just don't like the somewhat stiff and often unnatural colours of the majority of Tulips. I agree I have dozens of Tarda growing in my herbaceous borders under Sorbus Trees which never fail to look good every year and increase without being invasive. The Scilla Bifolia look very pretty but will be too small to look right in the big 1/2 barrels I fear but thanks for the idea.