1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

i think ive made a mistake help !!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pumpkinsoup, Apr 7, 2006.

1. pumpkinsoup

pumpkinsoup Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello everyone,well i think ive done a boo boo today,i went to b&q to have alook at ideas 4 plants saw that there 20% off so i bought some.they are mainly shrubs ill name them pieris mountain fire,llex hollywood,skimmia japonica rubella,which ive planted in shade,then pieris forest flame,lavenderpieris japonica,japenese euonymus,in the sun.well basically my problem is my soil is clay ive broke it all up and just planted them in and then watered them,but ive just been reading i shouldve put some sort of soil inor sand ,grit,food,im really confused and just dont want my new plants to die is there a way i can save em or shall i just put it down to experience,i was so pleased with myself aswell.also does anyone know anything about any of theese plants and any tips height spread easyness to look after etc thanx in advance amanda

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    The one that might suffer most is the pieris - it likes acid soil, so you could do with taking it up, and putting it into ericaceous compost - even in a pot will be ok - I guess it isn't all that big? Other than that, I should think they'll do ok. How much space have you got between them? On eof the usual problems is that shrubs will grow together, and get in each other's way, so it would be simpler to give them more space now, as digging them up once they're established will be very tricky, if not downright impossible!! If it looks a bit bare when you've done that, you could always fill in with bedding plants in the short term, or ground cover plants, while things grow. It's not such a terrible mistake!! They'll survive! :D

3. Barra

Barra Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Dendrobium, Your Pieris mountain fire and Pieris forest flame which should now be coming into flower should have been planted into ericaceous compost but all is not lost instead of moving your plant just add an acidifying acid now, and again in the summer and this will not only make your clay acidic for the year but will boost your Pieris in terms of growth but make sure you have planted them away from North winds as this will damage if not kill the new leaves although they are hardy -10 (14f). also avoid planting where the midday sun may scorch the leaves morning or late afternoon sun is ideal. They will grow to around 60cm (2ft) high and wide
    all the best with your garden for the summer

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I had two pieris in pots in ericaceous compost, necesity made me have to put them in the garden (which is line) then when we pulled the Laylandii out the tractor knocked the top of one, but to my amazement and delight three years on they look fine.

I just wonder though if being under the Laylandii hedge that it has changed the acidity of the soil?