1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to buy part of neighbours garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ant1977, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ant1977

ant1977 Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Do you have any ideas how much a 18ft wide by 18ft bit of garden is worth? my neighbours garden comes along the bottom of mine, there is no access or anything and no services underneath, it would just be an extention of lawn to my garden.

He has said he would consider selling as he is very old and his garden is maaasssive long, i just want the end bit!!

what is a rough price? so i can begin a barter? and how much are legal fees?

2. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Probably best for you both to agree on taking the advice of an Independant Chartered Surveyor, (RICS or similar). There would be a fee of course but you would get an unbiased and qualified opinion. The surveyor may also be able to give you an idea of legal costs.

• Like Like x 2
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      Where are you?
      Is there any chance of planning permission being granted in any part of his large garden (ie; does it have any potential commercial value)?
      My house move is costing me about £750 in legal fees, but I'm buying a listed freehold property that has a leasehold garage.
      In your case, you would probably be better off using a licensed conveyancer - basically a solicitor that just deals with property......

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,514
      Even with the help of a surveyor it would be difficult to value the land. There is an enormous difference between land that can be built on and other types of land - and where in the country you are.

Grazing or farming land can go for anything between approx £3,000 and £18,000 per acre. Building land can run into the millions depending on where you are.

For a small piece of land like that I would be inclined to just offer a small sum (a few hundred) and offer to pay the legal fees. If your neighbour agrees then you can look into the legal costs and see whether it's worth bothering. You should be able to get a fixed price for the legal fees.

Good luck :dbgrtmb:

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      offer £2000 and see what he says (always start low)

:D

• ant1977

ant1977 Gardener

Ratings:
      +13
      Nothing can be built on it, he is surrounded on all sides by neigbours, his garden is about 120ft long and has no aditional access to it

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      A few hundred then, depending upon where in the uk you are...........

• ant1977

ant1977 Gardener

Ratings:
      +13
      We r in redditch worcs

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      The real question that you need to ask is how much do you want it - how much of a difference to your life will it make?
      How large is your existing garden?

• ant1977

ant1977 Gardener

Ratings:
      +13
      By buying the 18ft x 18ft it would nearly double our garden

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      So the value to you of that bit of land is probably greater than the actual value of the land........

• Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
      +446
      Worth is subjective.

It's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it be that a single interested party or a million people in a bidding war.

For a plot of land that size I'd look at the legal costs involved then offer no more than a couple of hundred pounds as a starting point. If your neighbour laughs at your valuation then be honest and say it's difficult to put a value on the land and ask him what he would suggest.

If you can, make him a drink before you barter. A well known fact is that the final selling price of anything is inversely proportional to how much Whisky is in the coffee :loll:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,514
      I thought, and said, just a few hundred pounds. From what you are now saying, your neighbour has a very big garden so it will only be a very small loss of ground for him, but for you it will not only double the size of your garden but will then make your property more desirable. Therefore it's likely to be worth a lot more to you than to him.

Start with only a few hundred and legal costs and have a maximum limit that you're prepared to go up to.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      But not legal!!!

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      When my dad gave me first refusal to buy my land, he had it valued. The surveyor told him it could be worth as little as £x or as much as 3 times that, depending entirely on whether or not anybody wanted it.

18x18 is not a big parcel of land. Last time I checked, land without outline planning consent was starting at about £8k per acre.

I think I'd feel as though I was ripping the chap off if I offered much less than a grand. But at the same time, unless I really, really wanted it, I don't think I'd offer much more than one and a half.

As for legal fees, I think it will be a bit more expensive than a simple conveyancing (which cost me about £600 in all when I bought my house), because a new set of boundary plans would need to be drawn up and submitted to the land registry. Also, as daft as it sounds, planning permission might come into it, because you are effectively changing both properties.

• Like Like x 1