1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for next season re Daffodils/Narcissi

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Apr 26, 2014.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Being in Scotland my Daffodils/Narcissi are still very much in evidence, my Pheasant Eye's aren't even flowering yet.
    Always looking to improve I was thinking about maybe getting some more varieties for next season (have a lot already!:)) and would love hear from other members of GC what their favourite Daffodil is and why so I can get some good ideas .
    My favourite of the ones I have has to be Winston Churchill for the following reasons.
    It flowers later after the majority of mine have flowered but before The Pheasant Eyes so I have something to "bridge the gap".
    It is very pretty being a lovely creamy colour with bright orange eye.
    It has anything up to 6 blooms per stem and the stems are nice and sturdy so the blooms don't fall over.
    Best of all, they have the most gorgeous strong scent.
    Sure I'll get some great ideas from you knowledgeable lot! As per usual my lack of photographic skills don't do the variety justice. CIMG3415.JPG CIMG3414.JPG

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    My favourite is White Lion - not only beautiful but has a lovely scent :wub2: and is long lasting too.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

I had them in tubs and they look lovely interspersed with Tulips:

[​IMG]

I also bought some peach ones from Morrisons which were quite nice.

[​IMG]

This year I'm going to try Altruist.

[​IMG]

3. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,625
    I usually pick new Daffs by noting when I have a gap time of fresh blooming ones. And focus in on those that bloom in that time needed. With that short list I then look which is scented as a first pick, then move on to get what I like in that short list. I also have some Pheasent Eye's -waiting for that one. But recently, over the last 2-3 years have begun the chore of separating and replanting, so I have plenty work with that. Have noticed that I could use some early tulips, the wild shorter variety, so will have to look at a few of those for this fall. I hope you had a chance to see my video in Redstars garden. My 60,000 bulbs are doing well this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Like the look of White Loin Mereleworld and the others too for that matter. I wonder if White Lion is fairly closely related to Winston Churchill? as look vaguely similar and if both a smelly! On my list of wants for next season, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Ratings:
        +10,625
        Love the mini daffs. that come up early blend well with the blue glory of the snow. They also can be blended with snow drops.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Hmmm ... I take a contrary view that I prefer more of one type, than more of several types. More "Impact" I think

Succession is good ... however ... I think the later ones are less worthwhile. They flower for a shorter period, as the days heat up [not every season of course, but in an early-Spring year they are over almost before they begin] and they are then "around" dying down at a time when I would prefer that they had disappeared underground. It delays the cutting of grass in which they are naturalised, and that allows even more Buttercup to flower and spread etc!!

So my late ones are in very carefully chosen positions ...

I'm planting more and more Tete-a-tete just along the front of borders, with some Iris reticulata. I fancy having the whole of the walk amass with them - wondering about saving some seed and growing them from that (although Tete-a-tete bulbs, bought in bulk, are not expensive, and if I plant them thin-ish they will probably self seed and fill the gaps anyway).

In terms of variety I read somewhere that newfangled ones, bred and marketing in the last several decades (maybe 50 years even?) have not faired well, long term, and perhaps it would be better that we stick to much older heirloom varieties that are perhaps more robust.

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        Quite possibly related, they do look similar :blue thumb:

• silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Totally agree Kristen I already have maybe only about 6 varieties but around 400 of each and concur that drifts of the same variety look much better than loads and loads of different types. What I am looking to do is add maybe another 2 varieties and get a good number of each. As you rightly say it isn't or certainly wasn't the last time I bought Daffodil/Narcissi bulbs, too expensive to buy sacks of the same variety. I bought 2 sacks of Winston Churchill about 8 years ago and from memory got change from £20! It's which variety to choose is the reason why I'm looking for ideas from GC members. It's a lot of hard work planting multiple bulbs as you know:) so I'd like to ensure I plant what will be good additions to what I already have. All bar a very few of mine are naturalised in grass banks.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Ratings:
        +10,625
        Depends on the amount of property you have. I can have a thousand of the same type in one area, another thousand of a different type in another area. Then time it that when the first thousand are done the next blooming is up making a third thousand. etc etc. So as you walk a path your leaving one grouping then moving to a different grouping.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I'd go for a variety that has been around for a while, and thus has stood the test of time. Perhaps something that has a reputation for dividing quite quickly too?