1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for pruning a box hedge please!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Howard Stone, May 31, 2017.

1. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    Hello everyone

I have a box hedge in front of a house, framing a palm tree, about 20ft long, the depth of the frame is about 5ft, the hedge itself is about 18ft deep and 28 inches high. I've attached a photo.

I'm looking for interesting ideas about giving it a shape. The more modern and unusual the better.

If I cut into the mature wood, is it sure to recover?

Hedge.JPG

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Couple of points....you can prune as hard as you like. Prune asap to enable the hedge to recover its full foliage quickly. Prune too late in summer and you are likely to have bare wood during the coming winter :)
    Shape? You could undulate like a wave. I would sketch it first to get some sort of balance and idea of shape.
    For me though I would keep it formal. So options then.....let it grow into the palm or trim inside edge to provide space for plants. Lavendar if well drained and warm or a series of grasses like elymus magellanicus. Or simply for summer colour fill with white cosmos :smile:

3. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    Yes, I plan on trimming it this week or next. Someone once told be it's best to cut box at the start of June to avoid attracting box beetle.

What do you mean "let it grow into the palm?" That sounds interesting. Maybe I could create a sort of topiary column right in front of the trunk. Unfortunately, the part directly in front of the tree grows the slowest, presumably because of competition for light and nutrients.

4. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Exactly that Howard....have a plan for a topiary shape! :)
    Not sure timing affects box beetle necessarily. Timing is mainly about getting quickest regrowth :smile: