1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm never using toilet roll again!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mitramonday, May 14, 2021.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    Good idea but I'm useless at video, don't know anything about streaming and am all Zoomed out! :heehee: Some days we have four or five Zooms. Indians are good :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Glad to hear how enthusiastic you are for the project :)

• Funny Funny x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,497
        :nonofinger: :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
          +280
          I tried toilet rolls and was not impressed but unlike NigelJ who lives alone and does not produce enough rolls.My wife & I saved our rolls and was amazed how many rolls we saved,but I will say no more on the subject :):) . I then tried an experiemnt on celosia & Zinna Envy which they say do not like to have their roots disturbed but never having grown them b4 I had no experience. I, like a lot of you have a lot of 3" plastic pots collected or purchased over time.
          I tried 2 things one was to grow seeds in complete pot and the second was to cut off the bottom of pot but had a piece of cardboard in its place. When it came to planting the one with no base I just placed the whole pot in ground and left pot in place so roots came out of botton of pot.The other compete pot I cut down side of pot and cut off bottom b4 putting in ground and then pulled pot away from plant so roots were no disturbed.
          Surprisingly each method worked and I could not tell any difference from one method to the other when plants grew. I now have those pots ready to use again. The pots that I cut down the side I have just put a bit of 50mm masking tape to seal up the slit and they are now growing their next set of seeds.

• Like Like x 3
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            I think the consensus is everyone uses toilet rolls for seeds just once!
            My seedlings (sweet peas) were OK, but the cardboard rolls were just a mess.

• Like Like x 2
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              That's where I am too. I grew Sweetcorn in newspaper pots to avoid disturbance at plant out ... they were also much taller than my 9CM plastic pots, which I thought the Sweetcorn would like.

Well .. for the last X year, post-newspaper-pots, I've grown them in 9cm pots, planted out as normal, and I reckon my crops are indistinguishable.

parsnips might be something else ... but I chit the seed, and then put them straight into the planting "station", so that's a "no pot" solution ...

Last edited: May 22, 2021
            • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,414
              I once saved up a load of toilet roll tubes. I was hoping that I would get a greenhouse and have a go at growing stuff. To date, I still don't have a greenhouse. Or anywhere to put one in fact. In the meantime, the toilet roll inners have been used as spacers in our curtains.

G.

• Funny Funny x 4