1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm now a gardener.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rich, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That's my first week completed at the Coastal Park. Its very tiring work with lots of ups and downs. After 37 years in I.T. I have taken the plunge and gone for a change in career. The money is the same as I was earning in 1988, but this is a step on the way to being where I want to be.

I am responsible for a large area and pretty much left to do what I want. I have just completed the first stage which was to tidy up all the beds, trimming plants and weeding.

The most difficult were the scree beds which have quite a few ornamental grasses, many of which may be weed grasses for all I know. If in doubt I leave them alone, but time will tell if they should come out. One small bed I have had to dig out and replant as couch grass was taking it over.

I'm enjoying the freedom I have, although lunch and tea breaks by the sea are often spoilt by old men who seem to think I will be interested in their antics in the army when they were doing their national service, this is a daily occurrence.

I've never been a great lover of dogs, but I'm beginning to hate them. There is poo everywhere, and while many owners pick it up, that doesn't stop the dogs spraying pee over the plants or charging around the flower beds. Every morning when I arrive I check out the damage, and many small shoots are lying on their sides.

The other thing is kids riding their bikes on the seats and walls, damaging them. I am dreading half term next week.

I am not really a public facing person, nevertheless, it is all good experience and will look good on my c.v. should I need it.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Good for you Rich. We spend so much of our life working, that its important we should enjoy the work.

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "although lunch and tea breaks by the sea are often spoilt by old men who seem to think I will be interested in their antics in the army when they were doing their national service, this is a daily occurrence."

:D :D I hate doing anything near a pavmment or roads as these type of folk always crop up, Ill give most folk the time of day but after 5 mins listening the boredom or a need to get back to work sets in!

Just as bad are the locals around here, being very rural many are related and most probably inbred! I could write a book about some of the ecentrics I meet and also some of the folk I work for!

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Well done Rich, appart from all the old men, the dogs and the kids on bikes you really seem to be enjoying yourself. :rolleyes:

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It's always nice to be able to do something you really love and having the benefit to be able to take a wage cut is something few of us are able to do or take the chance of doing.

I wish you well in your new gardening adventures......as for the old men, youths and dogs all I can say is welcome to my world! :D Hel.xxx.

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    It sounds as though Rich and Pro are talking about me [​IMG] :D :D :D

7. Sarah_999

Sarah_999 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So what does that make you, Shiney??

An old man, a dog or a youth on a bike?? :confused:

Well done Rich... look forward to hearing your tales!

8. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sarah. Got to be all three. :D

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
  10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Nice to see you back Rich, and now your a professional.
    Do you think you will be able to fit a few daturas in come the summer? [​IMG]

Was you in Kent before, I cant remember.

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    The joys of the profeshional contractor in adition to random folk wanting a chat... almost forgot dog sh*t.

Just spent an hour cleaning it off my mower wheels, �£25 for 40 mins grass cut doesnt look too bad until you add another hour clening the **** off the wheels! Wont be working for them again if theres so mutch as a hint of a turd in the grass. :mad:

The grass was long so couldnt see it until id cut through 4 piles.

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    [​IMG]

Dont blame you pro, they should pick it up...

13. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    nowt worse remember when i had a shift work job and bought a window cleaning round for my days off. stood in it then walked up ladder all over my ladders hands and shoes.. dirty dog owners ......sh.t em..they are disgusting the owners that is some folk would rather leave the dog and the poo in the gardn forever if i ever seen a dog t..d in the garden forget it clean ya own ****** own gardens [​IMG] :eek:

14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That sounds like my neighbour's garden Ste Tracy's a lazy old mare so much so the dog poo on her garden has fur coats on it and that's nothing to do with the cold weather YUK! :eek: Hel.xxx.

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    Sarah said
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So what does that make you, Shiney??

An old man, a dog or a youth on a bike??
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John said
    Sarah. Got to be all three.

I don't ride a bike
    [​IMG] :D :D